Spyderco Para 2 as EDDC

I plan to pick up a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 to use as my everyday defensive carry knife. I have a Military now and love it but now want the 4-way capability of the Para 2 clip.

First, I've read about the "drag" of the DLC coating when slicing but I think that applies more to food prep. Is it a practical consideration for EDDC? I doubt it so I suppose it comes down to aesthetic and corrosion resistance. My Military is satin and I love it but I do like the Black DLC on the Para 2.

I'm debating the digi camo vs. the black handle but as this EDDC will double for when I'm wearing my suits for business, the black handles will disappear better in my pocket.

Lastly, what is a comparable and perhaps better consideration for EDDC in this category? Although I'm pretty confident the Para 2 fits the bill, I'm open to suggestions.

Everyday daily dual carry?

Black suit in a heavy rural environment or in the concrete jungle?

Actually, nvm. Choose black. Black matches everything. Plus, black is tactical and won't reflect the sun...

Or carry both. Dual wield style, dual hip action.

Everyday daily dual carry?

Black suit in a heavy rural environment or in the concrete jungle?

Actually, nvm. Choose black. Black matches everything. Plus, black is tactical and won't reflect the sun.

Combination on the environment- everything from rural woodsy to concrete jungle.

I think you are right about the black; I ended up ordering one of each but will probably only keep the black. I'm less concerned about the tactical (or tacticool) aspect of the black but I do like the look. A little extra corrosion resistance never hurt anybody either!

I was very close to getting the Para 2 in S110V but I was put off by the reviews. I'm sure for my type of use the S110V would be fine, and the price difference is only about $30. But S30V is more than sufficient and easier to sharpen. I just sharpened my Military in S30V the other day and I could literally shave with it. It didn't take but 10 minutes either.

I carry the PM2 as my right back pocket utility knife. In the front pocket goes one of many Cold Steel XL folders for SD. Most recently its this baby, the Frenzy. It disappears in the pocket and has a 5.5" XHP warncliff blade with a triad lock, for about the same price as a Para. I guess the PM2 could be used in this capacity, it just seems a little small after carrying the CS, unless you train with it of course.

E3xdXlW.jpg

Exactly what I was going to suggest. Actually, the 940 might be a better choice for suit carry.
You're going to love the Para 2! One of the most 'fun' knives to fondle!
Joe
Absolutely. I don't think I could go wrong with the 940; it is clearly a phenomenal knife. But there is just something about the Spydercos- they are great to handle. I like the ergos a lot.

The Para2 is an excellent choice, I loved the one I had. Mine was the digital camo version, I will probably get the black version next.

Also, you should be weary of the G10 on the PM2. Over time, it could really take a toll on your dress pants. Choose something smooth like (smooth textured) Carbon Fiber or Titanium as a handle material.

Also, you should be weary of the G10 on the PM2. Over time, it could really take a toll on your dress pants. Choose something smooth like (smooth textured) Carbon Fiber or Titanium as a handle material.
Do you mean aftermarket replacements or does Spyderco sell the other versions too?

I carry the PM2 as my right back pocket utility knife. In the front pocket goes one of many Cold Steel XL folders for SD. Most recently its this baby, the Frenzy. It disappears in the pocket and has a 5.5" XHP warncliff blade with a triad lock, for about the same price as a Para. I guess the PM2 could be used in this capacity, it just seems a little small after carrying the CS, unless you train with it of course.

E3xdXlW.jpg
Very nice!

Cold Steel makes some nasty defensive blades!

I'm not exactly sure what EDDC is. Is it a more specific carry style and more specific usage than EDC? Just need some clarification so I can give a better answer.

Do you mean aftermarket replacements or does Spyderco sell the other versions too?
I was just suggesting that you look at other knives that have those features. You could purchase PM2 aftermarket scales (consider Flytanium), but they just lack that OEM feel.

Since you are so determined in carrying a knife in your suit, invest another few hundred and consider the Benchmade 940-1/484-1, Chris Reeve Knives (CRK) Sebenza/Mnandi or maybe even a Spyderco Sage 2/Stretch. The PM2 just looks way too aggressive to have around in the office environment; it may scare people at the lunchroom.

If size is not a big deal, the CRK Mnandi is probably most ideal option. The clip even works as a fashion accessory!

Back