Spyderco Phoenix

STR

Knifemaker/Moderator
I recieved this one in the mail for new scales. First one I've seen. I must admit I feel the same way about the white scales. They gotta go. Sorry Sal, just not my cup of tea. I guess they are supposed to remind of a good old style like gun grip. You know like on the old pistols and derringers with the ivory pearl handles. Maybe if they were a natural material I'd feel different but for now I do like the carbon fiber idea.

Anyway, looks pretty straight forward. Not sure I'll recess the clip. May make a new one we'll see on that. I'll tell ya this much this is the best use of the ball lock I've seen yet from Spyderco. Nice nice folder other than the scales but fortunately it looks like an easy swap. Seen here are two shots of the factory folder, with one of the tracing I'll use to cut out some new clothes for it later with what little carbon fiber I have left. .

STR

Can't wait to see it! I agree on the white scales...it's a big turnoff on such a nice knife.

nice, i assume you will keep the template so that i can just order the scales from you?

What template? :D I'd still need the folder to final fit them to the body. I don't have CNC machining or anything. Not sure I have enough CF to do more than this set either. I'd have to look.

Things have been at a halt since these posts of the new work because we are having our house resided. They were going to start today but the rain stopped them. The wife and I have been busy. My wife grows this jungle of flowers every year and many of them won't bloom next season if they are damaged I guess. Anyway, she has been all concerned about all the ones so close to the house and we've been digging up the ones she wants to keep and moving them to pots to store in the shop until all the danger of being trampled is gone once the new siding is done. My back is killing me presently from all the bending and stooping as well as lifting. Anyway, we are getting close to done with all that except for one more Japanese Maple I have to put a wire cage around to make 'off limits' for the workers. Then I will have some time to get back to the shop projects.

STR

Just checked briefly while bringing wood in for the fire. I only have enough carbon fiber left for one more scale that size after this set is made. Good thing too since I may need it for this knife if I screw up one side getting it done.

STR

All done Friz.

Thanks

STR

I am now an awe-struck/optimistic South Paw who (fortunately) just discovered this site due to frustration over Spyderco's Phoenix; specifically, an ambidextrous lock without corresponding ambidextrous (i.e. left hand) carry capability. A knife I wanted to purchase but, because of such limitation, simply could not justify; until now (hopefully).

Awe-struck because having now spent the best part of an hour exploring your site and viewing your work, I've concluded you are a maestro. Optimistic because having noted your fondness for the Phoenix and, in particular, your carbon fiber replacement scales handiwork (on the one hand), I remain hopeful that you will consider a South Paw clip conversion with CF scales?

I answered your email but didn't catch the carbon fiber scale replacment. I don't currently have any carbon fiber in stock I don't think. If I do I'm sure its textured not smooth and that application would require contouring it to give it some curve so I would not want to use my textured on that.

I could do some G10 for you in a variety of colors though. I have micarta also.

STR

Steve, my friend, I was going to say the white looks fine to me but after what you have done, glad I kept my mouth shut !!When your good, your good !!

Thanks guys.

And here I thought this thread was dead a long while ago. Nice to see its still getting some attention.:thumbup:

STR

STR,

howdy. i've decided i want a Spyderco Phoenix. really like the blade, and like the overall shape with a few tweaks i'm hoping your can help me with.

1) 1 of the things i don't like are the white micarta scales. i think i want Carbon Fiber, and so found this thread in my research. but the pics of your carbon fiber scales mod have been long deleted from this thread. do you still have those pics laying around anywhere? because i'd like to have you do some for me if they look anything like this pic i found on a different forum:
SpydercoPhoenixMark.jpg

if yours look like this, i'm getting a phoenix and you're getting a customer!

2) can you round off the sharpened back tip of the hilt first, then make the CF scales match that? i'd rather have it rounded, not a fan of that sharper point they come with.

thanks for your time and help. hopefully this is a project you'd like to take on.
mpg

My friend I apologize but I quit taking on handle scale jobs some time ago. I'd suggest someone like Phil Dobson for those. He does a great job.

I do appreciate your asking.
As for the pics you speak of? I don't know if I still have those on computer or disc. I'll look and if I can find them I'll try to get them up but they may be long gone. Sorry. Used to be I had only so much memory to use for my account and every year I'd have to pick pictures to dump to fit new work pics in.

STR

Back