Spyderco Police 4 Action Question

Yimes

Platinum Member
I am considering a Spyderco Police 4 and I am curious about the action on the Police 4? Is it closer to a Military or an Endura? I like to middle finger flick my larger Spyderco Knives and am curious as to the feasibility of this. I can flick my Endura but it is way harder than my Military.

I have seen some videos and read the reviews but I can’t quite get a feeling and with nowhere near me to handle one I thought the experts here might be able to help.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

It's going to be closer to the endura due to it being a lock back design. If I recall correctly, it's generally as hard or harder to open than an endura. Nice knife though.

It's going to be closer to the endura due to it being a lock back design. If I recall correctly, it's generally as hard or harder to open than an endura. Nice knife though.
Thanks for your reply. I would have guessed the action was closer to the Endura but I was hoping for the Military.

You won’t be wanting to middle finger flick the Police 4, but don’t let that hold you back from getting an amazing knife. The Police 4 is a freaking awesome knife!

Maybe its time for me to trade one of my five millies for a police 4, which I have never tried.

You won’t be wanting to middle finger flick the Police 4
Why not? Difficult? Painful? Causes problem with knife? Please explain
(because, honestly, that statement has me thinking about buying one... just to middle finger click it.)

It all can be done. If you like that knife get it and I will teach you to do it. Just need proper technique.
This ninja avatar I have is more so to reflect how much ninja flicking I can do with knives :), otherwise I am Ukrainian/Russian
Can middle flick manly peak or open it with just inertia. Can open delica with just inertia. The experts are here, we got you.;)

(because, honestly, that statement has me thinking about buying one... just to middle finger click it.)
Knock yourself out. I never understood middle finger flicking a back lock. It’s easy to do on the Millie and PM2, yes, but why?

Knock yourself out. I never understood middle finger flicking a back lock. It’s easy to do on the Millie and PM2, yes, but why?
So you aren't going to offer a reason?
I'm not a fidget flipper (or flicker)...and I'm pretty sure my only back locks are a couple of 15+ yr old Case knives; so it was a serious question.

Like the Endura, the Police 4 has a back lock, so you have to overcome the resistance created by the lock bar as the lock spring presses it against the tang of the blade. Because of that, it will not flick open as easily as the Military.

I can flick my Police 4 open if I put my wrist into it, however, I don't find that very satisfying. I much prefer to open it slow and smooth with my thumb. My liner lock knives are a different story...I love flicking those.

Never flip my Police 4. It may be the teflon washer better than.
But the Police never built flipping knife.
25864161_0c918b0d6ba5889a1df7433ae4181a3c_xxl.jpg

Knives with a simple detent have a 'break point', if you will, that gives strong resistance at a single point that falls off immediately after you pass it, facilitating opening with a middle finger flick. The Police 4, having a large blade and back lock, has much steadier resistance throughout the opening arc making flicking more difficult, less practical and, IMO, less satisfying. I'm sure plenty of people can do it if they really want to, I'm just not sure why you would.

Oh, also, given the closing bias of back locks, if you screw up your flick your fingers are a lot more likely to pay the piper than with a liner lock.

The PowerLock is actually more flickable than a standard back lock. Check out the Chinook 4. Has a very nice action. Not what I expected.

Late reply, here but FWIW: The P4 can be easily adjusted to be finger-flicked. Not so easy to have it "flickable" and a centered blade, though.

It all can be done. If you like that knife get it and I will teach you to do it. Just need proper technique.
This ninja avatar I have is more so to reflect how much ninja flicking I can do with knives :), otherwise I am Ukrainian/Russian
Can middle flick manly peak or open it with just inertia. Can open delica with just inertia. The experts are here, we got you.;)
I have a P4 and am finding the SF very illusive. If there's a technique you can share, I'd love to see it...

Back