Spyderco Police; Is it Worth buying it?

I'll go with Jeff/1911. When it was introduced, the Spyderco Police was beginning to appear more of a new yardstick for quality and design that people were starting to look for in a folding knife. However when the G10 Police came along, I was at a loss for words to see it come with a V-grind. In my opinion get the SS version with the false edge is a true classic that doesn't need any fixing. But on the other hand if you need to slice a whole lot, go for the G10 version or even the Military which I consider it's Big Brother. Hey!!! You can't go wrong with a Spyderco:)

Krizzard, out.

"...Whoever kills with the sword must be killed by the sword... "
- The New Testament, Revelation 13:10

The names Police and Military on the knives don't bother me at all. It seems pretty much if you use a knife, particularly a "tactical folder," to defend yourself you'll have a lot of explaining to the law anyway, even if the knife was called the Dipsey-Doodle. I'm not against defending yourself with your knife if absolutely necessary, just saying what's gonna happen if you do. A lot better than the name Urban Killer, Pig Sticker, or The Street Shiv.
Jim

Spyderco makes a good knife.

And the Police model has a long and sucessful history.

So, if you like it, I see no reason not to buy it.

But, maybe you could look to an alternate source, one that may offer a lower price?

I have a SS Police and it suits me fine, it compares well to my SS Endura (both plain edge). Have you looked at the Massad Ayoob Spyderco? This is also a good choice.

As long as we're on this subject, could someone tell me how thick the SS Police is (not including the clip). Several people mentioned how slim it is, and I'm wondering how it compares with the Benchmade 710 in this regard. Also, is it noticeably lighter or heavier than the 710?

Dan

Margelatu:
The BM 710 is about one-third thicker than the SS Police. Just from feel alone, I can't really tell any significant difference in weight. It's possible the Police may be slightly heavier but neither is really a heavy knife, IMO.
Jim

The Spyderco Police Model simply screams "Class"!

I have an engraved Aluminum/Tuffram model that Sal Glesser gave me during World Cup 94 that has seen lot's of use and it still looks and cuts as good as day one.

It's one purchase you'll never regret.

recoil

I personally like the police model. I had one but after carring it for a while on duty, The weight started bothering me a bit. I was used to the delica and wanted somthing a bit bigger. Eventually I ended up getting an Endura for EDC. I've bought other makes since such as Benchmades, CRKT, Microtech and MOD. I guess it speaks well for the Spyderco that I always end up carring one as a EDDC (Every Day Duty Carry) instead of any of the others. Although I like to carry my BM 942 off duty on occasion. I'm currently carring the native Model as an EDDC, fits me and what I need just perfect.

The "Police" is my favorite knife. You just cannot go wrong with this one. I still think this is one of Spyderco's flag ship knives. Run, don't walk, and pick one up quickly. You will not be disapointed. Regards. -Rick

Back