Spyderco police model grip modifications

I have a Spyderco police model with a stainless handle that I find is not too secure as far as grip is concerned. Is anything I can or have done to make the grip more secure and comfortable. Thanks.

have it checkered or engraved. Do s search in the spyderco forum for checkering, there is a thread with a pic. Also search for engraved. There should be a thread with a pic of an engraved Spyderco by Brooks Burt.

------------------
Dennis Bible

You may want to consider having the handle checkered. Here's a link to a scan of my stainless Native that I had checkered by CheckerMarx:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=185132&a=1406520&p=14911247&Sequence=0
It is a flat-topped diamond pattern, if I remember correctly, @ 16 lines per inch.
If you do a search in the Spyderco forum, you should be able to find the details. In the meantime, you can reach CheckerMarx at 360-380-1903.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

aka Dagda the Insatiable, Member of the Terrible Ironic HORDE
"I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, Babe, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride."

Thanks Brian, thats the pic I was talking about in my previous thread.

------------------
Dennis Bible

NP, Dennis. The truth is I was already looking for the url & didn't see your post until after I had responded.
wink.gif

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

You can try grip tape (aka skateboard tape, safety tape, etc.). Basically, it's abrasive sandpaper with a tape backing. It can be hell on your on your jeans, but it sure does give you a secure grip! I don't have any stainless steel handled knives, but I always put a strip on the pocket clips of my knives - it aids greatly in drawing.

What does it cost for the checkering? Also what does a G-10 police go for? Thanks for the response.

------------------
I AM NOT A NUMBER! I AM A FREE MAN!

The cost of any type of customization such as checkering will vary depending on exactly what you want done. For example, I wanted to use the Native w/o the pocket clip so I had both sides checkered. If you plan on leaving the clip in place, you might want to checker the other side only. I suggest you call CheckerMarx, explain what you might want done, and ask for an estimate.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

theprisoner,

This thread really belongs in the Spyderco Forum. You've gotten some interesting replies here, but I suspect you'll garner more there so I'm moving it.

Please review the FAQs. We have specialized forums for a reason... they allow discussion of specific lines of knives. Issues such as you raise are quite appropriate there as well.

------------------
-=[Bob Allman]=-

I did NOT escape from the institution! They gave me a day pass!

BFC member since the very beginning
Member: American Knife & Tool Institute; Varmint Hunters Association;
National Rifle Association; Praire Thunder Inc.; Rapid City Rifle Club;
Spearfish Rifle & Pistol Club; Buck Collectors Club (prime interest: 532s)
Certified Talonite(r) enthusiast!

I bead blasted the handle on my Police and it made a big difference to the grip and looks good too.

Michael Rupert up in Ohio does some really need work on the Police model. His company is RENOTT training. Anyway, he stipples the slabs ($6), relieves the lock button slightly ($6), and offers a blue or black clothlike covering for the clip to reduce shine ($6). He is a big proponent of hinge-mounted clip knives carried in the waistband. If you'd like contact info, let me know & I'll look it up.

Back