Spyderco Price Increase - Some Surprises

I’ve been priced out of retail-new for a while now. I’m glad there are still people with enough expendable income that they will buy new from retailers and sell at a loss, because that’s basically the only way I get my hands on knives anymore.

This still affects me, though, since this slow creep up in price is going to both drastically reduce the number of people who buy the knives (likely narrowing it down to collectors who keep them indefinitely) and raise the secondary market prices.

The upside of this, though, has already been touched on - other companies and their products become reasonable options in the same price range. Hopefully, this means another set of companies will come forward and see success / expand the $90-140 price range that Spyderco seems to be eschewing.

A lot of people seems to be missing the point here. I mentioned in the OP that the price increase is expected and is probably understood. The point is that there seem to be uneven across the product line, e.g. Shaman having 31% jump, and trying to get clarity on what the inconsistencies. This is the point of this thread, and is not meant to be another "price increased! i wont buy nothing from spyderco! QQ" thread.

Edit: Another point of the thread is to point of the amount of competitions at the price range of Shaman, both from US, EU and Asian makers. Making business decision based on cost and internal data is very important, but it's also equally important for some market analysis and understand what's out there that can compete with your product at what pricing. Im sure there are a lotta smart people in Spyderco to help them figure this out, but some of their pricing for Japanese model vs American model is definitely baffling.
For example the Japanese made Spyderco D'Allara S30V at $200+ is way more expensive than USA made Manix 2 S110V at $150+. It's no denying that Manix 2 has more expensive blade material, and probably equally as good or better fit & finish, not to mention a probably more highly demanded design, so the price different is baffling to the market.
Yes Sal already explained, producing stuff in Japan is more expensive than in the US, but this might(not saying it's definite) be one of those situation where a pricing decision is made purely based on internal data(i.e. cost) with less input from external data i.e. what the market wants, what can you buy for same $, the material etc.

Last edited:
If he gave his employees a pay raise then that is great.
We need more business owners to do the same.
The middle class in America is dying a slow death while the richest get tax breaks and raise prices.
And I do love my Manix2.

Again, what was the basis for your claim that he was "lining his pockets"?

If there employees got a raise for the increase in price of knives I would be fine with it, but I'm willing to bet there just lining there pockets.
Glad there are so many more companies to spend my money on.
Maybe they got better healthcare? Maybe they got to keep their already good healthcare? There are so many factors beyond just awarding hourly raises.

The old pricing was out of my price range, so is the new. No change for me. :D

I've been eyeing the S30V Delica in yellow/green zome and that hasn't changed thank goodness.

That is odd about the different price increases. Probably need to ask Sal about that.

Glad I'm satisfied with my folder crew.

Again, what was the basis for your claim that he was "lining his pockets"?
Because I live in America and am not blind to what companies/corporations have become.
I don't have any proof of anything but its not a big stretch as to were the xtra money may have gone.

Prices were raised it happens all the time. Cars go up your food goes up etc etc prices are bound to increase. If that make a particular item out side your budget then find a new company to support. As materials, advertising, shipping cost of operating goes up so will the consumers cost. Do you think any company is in it to lose? Agian find something in your budget or buy secondhand pretty simple.

With the corporate tax rate dropping so drastically, I expect prices to go way down! ;):rolleyes:

Can't explain the discrepancy between the increases in various models. Perhaps a phone call would help you?

Pretty sure their number is in the book.

I can see 3 possible reasons their costs went up:

1. Arbitrary price gouging ('lining their pockets'). This seems pretty unlikely, both because Spyderco is a high integrity company, and because in such a price-sensitive industry with strong import competition, it seems unlikely they'd want to do this, they'd just be shooting themselves in the foot as consumers would quickly switch to equivalent better priced options if the price difference is too large.
  2. Cost of doing business increased in some way (labor costs, new government regs, materials costs for steel and other materials, research and development, added new manufacturing capacity, etc).
  3. Increasing consumer demand. Example: if they are perceived as a premium brand and therefore experiencing increasing consumer demand that they cannot keep up with, this alone could account for price increases. Most consumers would not want the long delays and unavailable products, so for them to not lose customers and keep cranking out high demand product line, they have to ramp up production and that costs money.

I'd bet the increase comes from 2 and 3.
I suspect #3 has the biggest impact on pricing. I hope Sal IS making money, lots of money! That's why he is in business versus running a charity.

My solution to this is simple... buy fewer knives. But also look more at other brands. I want to cut my 2018 knife budget (vs 2017) by at least 30%. That was already in the cards though for me as I am approaching the point where I don't need anything new but only buy because something interests me.

Last edited:
Im only seeing a $10 and change increase on a few that I checked. For example the pm2 and manix on knifecenter.

With the corporate tax rate dropping so drastically, I expect prices to go way down! ;):rolleyes:

Can't explain the discrepancy between the increases in various models. Perhaps a phone call would help you?

Pretty sure their number is in the book.

Thanks genius, you are an inspiration to us all :thumbsup:

Price increase bothers you? Why not just use something you have already?

Personally my prices need about a 20% increase, but it is a very competitive world. My insurance and labor costs go up every year and my bottom line shrinks.... In a couple years, I suspect I will just say.... here is my price. Take it or leave it and I hope I won't be depending on the income.

Gas prices increase, drive less. Knife prices increase, buy fewer knives. The only real bummer is the unfortunate soul who is looking to buy that one good knife as a tool may be discouraged away from purchasing one of Spyderco’s fantastic offerings to save $10-20.

I saw your posts on Facebook too and it's probably in the Spyderco forum also.

My take on this is that stuff costs more. It's been going on for years apparently.

People who say they can only buy so many knives a year but won't buy Spyderco anymore (or whatever brand happens to be the focus) seem to be more caught up in the act of consumption vs. needing a knife. You can only carry so many knives at once and you can only use so many at a time. If your hobby is collecting knives then you have to pay to play. If there's one super special knife that's a must have people have to buckle down and work harder.

And if by any chance company X does price their goods out of the marketplace then they won't sell. Then the will have to either adjust their prices downward or cease to operate. None of these places operate on the basis of a charity to supply trinkets to post on social media.
Nicely put. Basic business economics .

Thanks genius, you are an inspiration to us all :thumbsup:

Doesn't require genius level thinking there, Sport.

If you want to know a certain knife manufacturer's "logic behind why certain items got more bump than others", then coming onto a knife forum and asking the general population is going to get you such responses as you have received.

Calling said manufacturer is actually the best advice I can give you. But feel free to add a snarky retort to the mix. :thumbsup:

Back