Spyderco Rookie

I just ordered one today from eKnifeworks, steel handle plain edge. I like the fact that it's a 3/4 scale version of the Police model, which is one of my Spydie favorites. Anybody have an opinion on these knives? Kinda just bought it on a whim, as the price was great, and I've heard they've been discontinued.

Chris Mapp

I like the Rookie a lot. Especially in G10. If it were tip-down, I'd already have one.

For the record, I usually like tip-up knives, but ones with Spydie holes just beg to be tip-down! Can't...stop...Spydie...dropping...

In my memory only g-10 variant is discontinued. SS Rookie might be in production. I have serrated rookie g-10 and wish that I'd bought plain as serrated knives get seldom pocket time. What surprised me when I got it was the thing that the blade is 0.5mm thinner than in g-10 Standards blade. Grind is shallower than in standard but the thinner edge makes it even.

extremefishin00 - I beleieve that you've made a great choice! My work partner bought one of these beauties after watching me drool over my multiple Spydies for a long time, and has infuriated me with his complete satisfaction with that one knife.

He maintains that it is the perfect one knife for EDC and I am inclined to agree. It is a great cutter, classy, with a solid heft but without eccessive weight by virtue of it’s stainless steel handle. My friend happily describes the way this knife will “glide” into and out of the waistband. After some time now, this knife will open by merely holding the blade hole and turning it upside down; smooth as glass.

I own the serrated G-10 Rookie myself, and it is a great knife but is quite a bit thicker than the stainless version and w/ it’s serrations is somewhat less versatile for everyday use, I find. Congratulations on a great purchase. I hope you agree once you have used your new knife for awhile.

Cheers, Jeff/1911

Back