Review Spyderco: Shaman & Manix 2 - A Comparison

Odyous of olde been comparisonis, And of comparisonis engendyrd is haterede." John Lydgate - 1440

That having been said, I don’t think there is any harm comparing these two excellent knives, one designed by the father and the other by the son. I do apologise for the lack of photos, my only camera is my phone and the lens is cracked. Having once had an unfair pop at K katanas for not posting pictures, I now offer him a grovelling apology - sorry mate! :oops:

Perhaps some of the ace BF photographers can add a few picture of their own to the thread! Here are my two knives side by side:

lbA3cRQ.jpg

As you can see, the Shaman is the DLC version and the Manix 2 is the blurple, skeletonised version in S110V.

The specs are all out there, with countless reviews of these knives, so this is more by way of a user comparison: a personal view.

Aesthetics

These are two different beasts and I like them both for different reasons. The Manix 2 design is, well, it’s manic! The crazy jimping everywhere, the visual layout of the design, it feels like Eric had a lot of fun putting this together. It is a fun design, particularly with the blurple scales. It’s not discreet but it isn’t trying to be. I actually like the width of it when folded, it has a look about it that says, “Use me!”

The Shaman presents a very different prospect. I used to be unable to see past the Spydie hole and shunned these knives. They all looked the same to me! Not anymore. The Shaman has the aesthetics of a master work, designed by a very experienced maker, which is exactly what it is. You can see and feel the thought that went into this knife. The curves are beautiful, as is the blade shape. It is certainly more discreet than the Manix 2, and rather than “Use me!”, it seems to say, “Don’t mess with me.”

Ergonomics

In my hand, the Shaman triumphs here. Both knives are exceptionally good in terms of ergonomics, but the smooth curves of the Shaman just make you want to hold it. Perhaps for wet, cold conditions, the Manix 2 would be a more sensible choice. However, if I had to pick which suits me better, it’d be the Shaman.

Action

Neither of these are free dropping as I have them set up, with zero play. The PM2 wins that one if that is what one is looking for. I am not, so it is a non-issue, more preferable than otherwise. The Shaman is a very smooth knife to actuate, the Manix 2 flies out as befits its name. The detent is very snappy on the Manix 2, giving a pleasing snick as it closes. The Shaman is smooth down and up. In order to flick it out fast, a wee bit of wrist is required. Both knives are very new, so that may change over time. I like both and as a middle aged man, the Shaman I do find particularly pleasing.

Blades

The blades are fairly similar, the Shaman being slightly beefier with what might be termed as an ultra-high sabre grind vs the FFG of the Manix 2. Both are good slicers and both feel robust enough to use with force. To my eye, the Shaman is a rather beautiful shaped blade, scoring over any other Spyderco in that respect. It is entirely subjective, of course!

Fit and Finish

Both these knives are exquisitely produced. Spyderco really are outstanding in this department. It is nigh on impossible for my eyes to detect any flaws in either knife. The Manix 2 is perfectly centred, the Shaman is a hair’s breadth from that. Both knives are outstanding and I would recommend them both. Perhaps the Manix 2, with its flashier design, is more obviously well executed. There is more to see and more to scrutinise.

I won’t go into the steels, as it would be patently unfair. At present there is no Shaman variant, so S30V is your only choice. Never mind that some are bored of that steel, let’s be honest, it is an exceptionally good steel by any normal person’s standards. I’m not normal, and if you are reading this, neither are you. The S110V on this Manix 2 variant is very pleasing indeed. I love it. On the other hand, if you asked me whether I was underwhelmed by the Shaman in S30V, I would stifle a laugh and reply, “Nope!”

Which will get carried more? Both! Okay, that makes no sense whatsoever. But it is very hard to choose between them. I haven’t bought a black coated knife in quite some time, and I wouldn’t want to use it in certain company. I may be at peace with my inner mall ninja, but others would be slightly perturbed. I can’t say there is much call for me to deanimate sentries at this stage in my life, so perhaps the Manix 2 might gain more pocket time. However, at the time of writing this, the knife I have been using all day around the house is the Shaman. It just feels so right!

Huge respect and thanks go to Sal and Eric Glesser for these outstanding knives. I recommend them both wholeheartedly. I used to loathe their knives on sight. Now, my Spyderco collection seems to be mysteriously growing; I’m sure I’m not the first to experience that phenomenon! Well done Spyderco, keep it up. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Odyous of olde been comparisonis, And of comparisonis engendyrd is haterede." John Lydgate - 1440
Nice quote but how did you get it past spellcheck ? :confused:

Thanks for the review . Handle on that Shaman certainly looks better for extended use . :cool::thumbsup:

Back