spyderco sharpening wierdness

I sharpened my delica I got in january... (finally). I used my lansky and got the edge right exactly where the factory edge was... i used the extra fine stone for maybe an hour on it and it was scary sharp. Then today i hacked up some boxes to be compacted at work with it... and I experienced a little bit of roll over on the edge (a burr formed). Now ive paid attention to edge geometry of knives ive had in the past and dont believe ive seen this happen (unless im just blind). DOes anyone know how i can get it to not roll over or is it to be expected?

Did you strop it? It's possible that when sharpening the blade you left a wire edge that rolled over when you used it. Cutting cardboard will sometimes have a similar effect to stropping though, so I don't know.

Paul

Perhaps the edge was not symetrical? The best way to remove any micro burr is to do this.

1. When finishing up with the Sharpmaker, increase the angle SLIGHTLY by tilting the blade away from the stone.
2. Use the stone as a strop at the end, two or three passes backwards and one barely touching normal pass to finish.

Always works for me.

I know you don't have the Sharpmaker, but perhaps it helps?

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Back