Spyderco STARMATE vs. Camillus CUDA

Originally posted by The Bear
I'm waiting for your opinion!
Bye

Camillus CUDA....Are you referring to the "Quick Action" folder with the thumb slide? Cool knife, smooth action and very easy to open. I have the smaller version spear point version. I have a Spyderco Starmate which has become one of my personal favourites. If I had to choose one over the other, I would go with the Starmate, no questions asked. I prefer a satin finish on a blade over a bead blast finish and 440V over ATS-34. I can tell you have an affinity to Bob Terzuola designs. ;)

I have a Starmate and really like it. It is actually one of my favorite production folders. The knife takes a super sharp edge, holds it very well and I don't find the 440V that difficult to sharpen. The eccentric pivot is a neat feature that lets you adjust the knife for lock wear. I have used this knife extensively and have not needed to do this yet. The Starmate is also a great design and feels good in my hand and pocket.

I have handled CUDA's that over time have had the opening device develope play and become sloppy at which point the novelty of this feature wears off. It does make for a slick opener however.

I'd go with the Starmate in a heartbeat. The slick Bob T design coupled with 440V make it a clear winner in my book. I normally prefer a fully lined knife, but Spyderco did a good job with the Starmate.

I have a Starmate. It's one of the best. Great design and constuction. The eccentric pivot on mine needed adjustment, some others have reported the same thing. Spyderco says to send the knife to them for adjustment, but I did it myself. Now it's fine. Too bad it was recently discontinued. Buy one while you can. As to the CUDA, I've only seen pictures on the Internet, so I couldn't say.

I would choose the Starmate. Both knives are Bob T influenced but the Starmate is of better quality. I am not crazy about the opening disc either. It works fine but a little too gimmicky to me.

The Starmate has been discontinued so better get one before they are gone.

Originally posted by shootist16
I would choose the Starmate. Both knives are Bob T influenced but the Starmate is of better quality. I am not crazy about the opening disc either. It works fine but a little too gimmicky to me.

The Starmate has been discontinued so better get one before they are gone.

Starmate discontinued? :eek: :eek: :eek:

For real?
cry.gif

Man! I'll have to go out and get another one.

Originally posted by blademan 13
I have a Starmate and really like it. It is actually one of my favorite production folders. The knife takes a super sharp edge, holds it very well and I don't find the 440V that difficult to sharpen. The eccentric pivot is a neat feature that lets you adjust the knife for lock wear. I have used this knife extensively and have not needed to do this yet. The Starmate is also a great design and feels good in my hand and pocket.

I have handled CUDA's that over time have had the opening device develope play and become sloppy at which point the novelty of this feature wears off. It does make for a slick opener however.

Blademan's post mirrors my own opinion. I sharpen w/ diamond stones, Spyderco's 440V takes a great, hair poppin edge, holds it pretty well, but then again it is a bit soft at Rc55-56 I think.

I have two Starmate's.

I have only played w/ the CUDA at a knife store, on multiple occasions. The CUDA is ok. The mechanism is actually pretty clever and it works fine. I'm unsure, therefore, why I continue to lean towards it being somewhat gimmicky.

The CUDA liner lockup was ok, nothing inspiring, but ok.

What's the matter El Cid? Did you already lose the one I sent you?;)

I really did like the design of the Starmate, but it is just a little too big for my tastes. Beautifully made, and excellent quality in every aspect of the knife. Get one of these for sure. I handled the CUDA's, and they do have the gadget factor, but seems like just one more thing that could go wrong.

DD

Originally posted by Daniel Dorn
What's the matter El Cid? Did you already lose the one I sent you?;)

I really did like the design of the Starmate, but it is just a little too big for my tastes. Beautifully made, and excellent quality in every aspect of the knife. Get one of these for sure. I handled the CUDA's, and they do have the gadget factor, but seems like just one more thing that could go wrong.

DD

Hi Dan, I plan to get buried with my Starmate! :D I'll have to get another just in case I feel inclined to let my kid inherit it.
xmas.gif

I owned thew large Cuda spearpoint in Damascus. It was cool. Kind of like the Kershaw speedsafe. IMO more something to show your friends and get busted by LEO's. If you want to use your knife get the Starmate.

Have been carrying my CUDA since they came out.Love it and it does not show any sign of loose-ening up.I personally love it.IMHO

I've always found it harder to open the blade on the CUDA series...I don't know why, just don't really like it although I will admit it is kind of neat. I particularly like their hawkbill blade. I have a Starmate and would defienlty recommned it. Great knife. I can open it much, much faster than a CUDA. Plus, the Starmate has better steel. I think the CUDAs are around $130 so, the Starmate is cheaper too.

Back