Spyderco Swayback ... hear me out!

Many of you are probably familiar with the Spyderco Swayback, which is a Marcin Slysz design that was released about three years ago. It came on the heels of the very popular Slysz Bowie and Spydie Chef models, but it was not received with the same enthusiasm ... to be generous. So why am I reviewing this 3-year-old, not-so-popular knife now?

1. Price! The Swayback has been discontinued and remaining stock is available at various online retailers for less than $200, which is WAY more palatable than the $300-$400 the knife was listed at previously. I picked one up at a retailer that accepts 10% off coupon codes and it came in at $180.

2. Cutting performance! Let me preface this by saying that there is always some variation from knife to knife, and I can only comment on the copy I have in hand. With that out of the way ... the Swayback has a relatively slim (edge to spine), 3.5" long Wharncliffe blade with a nice hollow grind that comes down to a mere 12.5 thousandths of an inch behind the edge. As impressive as that is standing alone, it's actually quite astonishing when you take into consideration that mine had a factory edge bevel of 13° per side! That is the type of blade geometry you rarely see outside of customs and high-end mid-techs. As a result, despite the averagish 0.135" blade stock and short grind ... it cuts like no one's business. This one is a serious cardboard destroyer. And thanks to the CTS-XHP and Spyderco's generally spot-on heat treat, you can expect it to maintain its edge for a good while. And by the way, the knife had one of the best factory edges I've ever received. It scored 130 BESS, which is very good, but with just a few strokes on a stop, the score dropped to 80g, which is exceptional.

3. Looks: well ... this is obviously quite subjective as far as the design goes, but Spyderco's Taichung plant did an objectively marvelous job with the Swayback's finishes. The dark stonewash on the handles is expertly done, and the polished stonewash on the blade is absolutely gorgeous -- truly one of the nicest blade finishes in the business, in my opinion. I also find the lines of the knife quite appealing, but again, that's a subjective thing. The pocket clip ... will be addressed below.

4. The cons: So yeah, despite this being a premium collaboration, Spyderco opted to just slap on a standard steel clip, which appears to be the same one as you'll find on a PM3. It certainly doesn't complement the Swayback's design, and it creates a bit of a hot spot in the hand. I have an MXG clip on the way. Come on, man. The other major con is that there is no lock-side access to the deployment hole, as it's fully blocked by the lock bar. No Spydie flicking this one. Some reviewers have also found thumb access to be cramped, but I have no problem thumb flicking it. Finally, there are a few drawbacks that are endemic to the swayback design, i.e., in a normal grip, the butt of the handle is going to press into your palm, and the balance is a little arse heavy. I don't consider either of those to be major issues for normal EDC use.

Conclusion: the Swayback is compelling at under $200, thanks to it's excellent blade, good looks, top-shelf materials, and very good fit and finish. Every purchase involves a cost/benefit analysis, and to me, the much lower price makes the Swayback a buy!

[Added MXG Clip, which to me looks like it was made for this knife]

Last edited:
Personally I've always been happy with Spyderco, but like many things in life you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the review, I think similar in most all of it. I had a swayback, sold it, and rebought it when it got discontinued. It truly is a great design and a laser cutter. I kinda like the clip but I love Spyderco clips in general. This one is a keeper for me.

The swayback is a great example of Ti Spydercos. Fit and finish are top notch, blade is screaming sharp and it handles very well.

Many of you are probably familiar with the Spyderco Swayback, which is a Marcin Slysz design that was released about three years ago. It came on the heels of the very popular Slysz Bowie and Spydie Chef models, but it was not received with the same enthusiasm ... to be generous. So why am I reviewing this 3-year-old, not-so-popular knife now?

1. Price! The Swayback has been discontinued and remaining stock is available at various online retailers for less than $200, which is WAY more palatable than the $300-$400 the knife was listed at previously. I picked one up at a retailer that accepts 10% off coupon codes and it came in at $180.

2. Cutting performance! Let me preface this by saying that there is always some variation from knife to knife, and I can only comment on the copy I have in hand. With that out of the way ... the Swayback has a relatively slim (edge to spine), 3.5" long Wharncliffe blade with a nice hollow grind that comes down to a mere 12.5 thousandths of an inch behind the edge. As impressive as that is standing alone, it's actually quite astonishing when you take into consideration that mine had a factory edge bevel of 13° per side! That is the type of blade geometry you rarely see outside of customs and high-end mid-techs. As a result, despite the averagish 0.135" blade stock and short grind ... it cuts like no one's business. This one is a serious cardboard destroyer. And thanks to the CTS-XHP and Spyderco's generally spot-on heat treat, you can expect it to maintain its edge for a good while. And by the way, the knife had one of the best factory edges I've ever received. It scored 130 BESS, which is very good, but with just a few strokes on a stop, the score dropped to 80g, which is exceptional.

3. Looks: well ... this is obviously quite subjective as far as the design goes, but Spyderco's Taichung plant did an objectively marvelous job with the Swayback's finishes. The dark stonewash on the handles is expertly done, and the polished stonewash on the blade is absolutely gorgeous -- truly one of the nicest blade finishes in the business, in my opinion. I also find the lines of the knife quite appealing, but again, that's a subjective thing. The pocket clip ... will be addressed below.

4. The cons: So yeah, despite this being a premium collaboration, Spyderco opted to just slap on a standard steel clip, which appears to be the same one as you'll find on a PM3. It certainly doesn't complement the Swayback's design, and it creates a bit of a hot spot in the hand. I have an MXG clip on the way. Come on, man. The other major con is that there is no lock-side access to the deployment hole, as it's fully blocked by the lock bar. No Spydie flicking this one. Some reviewers have also found thumb access to be cramped, but I have no problem thumb flicking it. Finally, there are a few drawbacks that are endemic to the swayback design, i.e., in a normal grip, the butt of the handle is going to press into your palm, and the balance is a little arse heavy. I don't consider either of those to be major issues for normal EDC use.

Conclusion: the Swayback is compelling at under $200, thanks to it's excellent blade, good looks, top-shelf materials, and very good fit and finish. Every purchase involves a cost/benefit analysis, and to me, the much lower price makes the Swayback a buy!

As others said, nice writeup.

Now ad a picture for the icing of the cake ;)

YMb3KRN.jpg

RCM257I.jpg

Ud5aD3Y.jpg

I've been checking it out numerous times, going back and forth - the one thing that holds me back is the Spydie hole hidden on the lock-side.

In the mean-time, this will keep me going - PM3 included for scale :)

i-HbQ8Nqd-X2.jpg

I've been checking it out numerous times, going back and forth - the one thing that holds me back is the Spydie hole hidden on the lock-side.

In the mean-time, this will keep me going - PM3 included for scale :)
Woh!! That's a long slippy! 😂

If Spyderco ever brings back the Swayback, I'd love to see them do a curved lock bar like Quiet Carry used with Nine. It wouldn't take much to provide enough space for a Spydie flick.

Hold up that thing is hollow ground? I've been wanting one for a while but always assumed it was FFG, may have just sold me on it. I don't mind the clip at all, not a huge fan of deep carry clips as I like to have something to pinch the knife by.

Hold up that thing is hollow ground? I've been wanting one for a while but always assumed it was FFG, may have just sold me on it. I don't mind the clip at all, not a huge fan of deep carry clips as I like to have something to pinch the knife by.
Yes it is hollow ground

I think this is one of Spyderco's under appreciated offerings. I like where it was made and the blade geometry is what makes it a great slicer. Sorry to hear it was discontinued.

Back