Spyderco tenacious

Hi,
After my success with the Spyderco Waterway I am interested in an EDC and something that can be used for self defense. I’m interested in the Tenacious model. Anyone have thoughts on it? I know the steel isn’t the best but I’m not going to abuse it too much.

I had one for a spell. For the money you spend, you really do get a lot.

Sure, it isn't the best steel in the world, but it is amazingly adequate for this price point.

This is coming from someone who isn't all that big on Spyderco really.

My only two issues with it were purely personal, and have nothing to do with the quality or value of it.

Also, I can't comment on the self defense part. Out of my echelon.

My first Spyderco was a Tenacious. It was adequate and I certainly couldn’t complain about the price, but I ended up moving into a PM3 and a PM2 anyhow. As I look back, I wish I’d waited a bit longer, saved the additional money and started directly with the PM2/3 pair instead of starting with the “economy/starter” model.

Hi,
After my success with the Spyderco Waterway I am interested in an EDC and something that can be used for self defense. I’m interested in the Tenacious model. Anyone have thoughts on it? I know the steel isn’t the best but I’m not going to abuse it too much.
Knives are generally a terrible idea for self defense. The Tenacious is fine for EDC tasks.

Among the over 125 Spyders that I own, I've got a 3 knife set from the Tenacious family of Spyders, including the Resilience, Tenacious and Persistence.

They are all an excellent value for the $. You could go thru life only owning 1 of them and do just fine.

Any knife can be used for SD. I own around 12 Spyders specifically designed for SD use but the one I carry daily is the Pika karambit made by Bastinelli/Marcaida. That said, for possible SD use, I think the Tenacious would be just fine but, if SD is the primary purpose, you may want to choose the Resilience w/its 4" blade instead, if for no other reason than the intimidation factor.

The Pika I carry would not "scare" anyone but it would be much better for SD because (which was that it was designed for) providing the other person doesn't have a gun, in which case no knife would be of much use UNLESS you can get close enough to use it.

BTW: For general use and quick deployment for SD, the new (yet to be released) Byrd Cara Cara 2 w/the Emerson tab will be a real bargain at only $32.50 MAP ($50 MSRP). I'm waiting to buy one of these as soon as it's released.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the Tenacious at all.

You could also look at the Ontario Rat 1 in D2 steel (I'd highly suggest the D2 steel). About $5-7 cheaper and a little longer blade if a 3.6" blade is legal in your area.

If SD is important to you, I'd suggest a small can of the highest octane pepper spray (if legal in your area). You are much better off spraying someone from 10 feet away then pulling a knife. I guess any knife could be considered a last ditch weapon if truly needed.

8cr13 isn’t a bad steel, honestly most the knives I’ve owned up till this year have been that or worse.
The great thing about Spyderco is they have a style and size for every hand type. I bought the cara cara and tenacious, the tenacious fits my hand a lot better, which lead me to find the perfect size for me in the Delica 4. I use the Tenacious at work, sharpens great cuts through epdm (rubber like pond liners but for roof membranes) as well as many others. The Delica 4 will make it into work rotation but it’s so new I just use it while at home.

As for sd, my thoughts are as a Canadian I can’t use a knife for self defence but if I did I would use one that;
I could deploy quick ( like Emerson or assisted) ,
Can I reliably open it when nervous or tired,
Would it intimidate someone,
And what can I use before choosing the knife that could also be used with it effectively. 500-1000 Lumen flashlight single mode, recharchable battery. Can’t hit what you can’t see

If SD is important to you, I'd suggest a small can of the highest octane pepper spray (if legal in your area). You are much better off spraying someone from 10 feet away then pulling a knife. I guess any knife could be considered a last ditch weapon if truly needed.

This and a good pair of shoes.

If you're dead set on a Spydie for SD the pika(pikal?) and yojimbo are probably better choices.

Edit:

Or any of the waved models.

I have the Resilience and Persistance. Both are very nice. I find the handle design very comfortable and blade shape useful for everything.

This question might be better received in "Practical Tactical" section, found under "Community Discussion Forums" in "Activities, Training, & Skills Development." I was told by an instructor back in the day, who had classes for local LE and FBI, that for non LE or people that aren't required by duty to head into danger, 99% of the time the smartest move is just to run away (close proximity being the danger). Additionally, if you find yourself fighting with a knife, 99% of the time, you will be the bad guy. That being said, if you are really interested in knife SD, I would suggest tracking down a SD class with knife training in your area, preferably one that has been used for training by local LE, or other govt agencies. Often different instructors prefer different knives (some pretty short) depending on their preferred styles.

Additional benefits of training might include teaching situational awareness, local laws, alternative options, descalation techniques, etc. which one might not be aware of.

The tenacious was a good $20-25 knife but for today's price of $50 you can get so much better quality, better steel. Check out bestech, kubey, tangram, rat d2 knives, ch knives. Cold steel Voyager, civivi knives just to name a few

Last edited:
My wife snagged a resilience for me while on vacation to pair with my PM2. It's a great knife and takes a good beating with no issues. Plus that 4.2 inch blade makes short work of food or anything for that matter.

A few years ago I was dead broke and carried a tenacious for a whole summer working construction. Was tough and reliable as well.

Last edited:
I gave one to a younger guy at work to displace his bass pro special several years ago for his birthday or maybe Christmas. Hes not an addict now, but he has picked up a few nicer knives since. Just a couple weeks ago he was telling me the tenacious was the first knife he had had which he sharpened. I think its a very solid tool for the money!

Any knife is better than nothing for SD. For those who suggest a pair of shoes instead, wish you still think the same when a four-legged aminal like a mountain lion or a mad dog is chasing you.

Tenacious was my first Spyderco; the second was an Endura. Both of them were good buy back then given their prices. If you OP plans to get deeper into knives, however, I suggest you skip Tenacious and go with something like a PM2 or Manix 2.

Hi,
I would not use a knife for a self defense situation. I would not want to get that close to a perp plus, the legal aftermath.
I carry police grade pepper spray. My knife would be a last resort.

Back