Spyderco's First Traditional Knife

After having seen this knife in an advert, I had to call Spyderco and ask if they would classify this knife as a traditional knife, and the young lady I spoke with said absolutely. Anyway, it's a slip joint, no clip, no thumb studs, the SpydieHole is not useful for deploying the blade, and more of a bit of designer flourish identifying it as a Spyderco. What say you? I'd post this in the Traditional Sub-forum, but.....

That's very nice, unusual, and very spyderco at the same time.
I bet you could one-hand open that by pinching the hole on the nose and waving the butt of the grip against your leg.

Looking forward to it! Can always use more sheepsfoot and wharncliffe blades.

It's a nice traditional but it also seems like a move towards PC knives.
It may signal the trying times and what lies ahead.
But I wonder now, just how much such a high tech penny knife as this would cost?

I don’t think the Traditional sub-forum would look at it as a traditional.

The mechanics may make it traditional but the styling is defiantly modern.

Sal designed it, made in Italy. It was conceived due to the news last year that very small knives were going to be allowed on passenger planes again, so specs were to conform to the guidelines that were given. That never went through but they chose to go on and produce it anyway.

On what planet is that a Traditional pocketknife? Looks more like a modern folder that doesn't happen to lock. ;)

My reaction to the knife overall... I like the sleek handle shape, but not the handle material. I don't understand what the second hole is for. The blade shape looks 'cool' but not useful.

I'd prefer a cocobolo handle and spear point blade. :cool:

^
Hehe, Traditionalists catching feelings.

I know that the OP spoke with a Spyderco employee but I recall when this knife was discussed last year on the forums and the Amsterdam meet and like I said, it was made just in case they allow certain sized pocket knives on passenger planes again. It was not meant to be a "Traditional" but was meant to fill a niche market... Traveling and perhaps in places in the world where only knives like this are allowed.

Also:
Sal designed it, made in Italy. It was conceived due to the news last year that very small knives were going to be allowed on passenger planes again, so specs were to conform to the guidelines that were given. That never went through but they chose to go on and produce it anyway.

On what planet is that a Traditional pocketknife? Looks more like a modern folder that doesn't happen to lock. ;)

My reaction to the knife overall... I like the sleek handle shape, but not the handle material. I don't understand what the second hole is for. The blade shape looks 'cool' but not useful.

I'd prefer a cocobolo handle and spear point blade. :cool:

If you're talking about the thing (not sure what to call it) close to the tip, that's a "dent" in the blade so that you can open it two-handed. They went with that instead of a nail nick, I guess

Al, I think it's close but the mods over in the trad section would not agree. ;) The Zytel scales and torx pivot are a problem. That being said, I kind of dig it. Looks a bit like a folding straight razor. I will probably pick one up just out of curiosity. If I recall it will have Bohler n690 steel, which I really like.

If you're talking about the thing (not sure what to call it) close to the tip, that's a "dent" in the blade so that you can open it two-handed. They went with that instead of a nail nick, I guess

Makes sense. That wasn't obvious from the photo. I actually prefer an indent to a hole.
So what's the hole for? Seems like the actual Spyder-hole is halfway hidden by the handles...

Back