Spydercos like the Caly 3/3.5?

I have numerous recent Spyderco models that I love and use frequently but I always go back to my Caly's. It's just something about the ergos and that kickback snap! Any older (or recent) models that are similar? Considering a Native lockback next. Thanks!

Native is very similar except minus the "thumb ramp" effect of the top grind on the Caly family. The Native series has the added benefit of much wider selection of blade steels and in some cases handle materials & colors. I recommend that model very highly. They are a bit wider than what you're used to with the Caly family, but it shouldn't make a lot of difference. In fact, I kinda like the ergos on the Natives a little better because of the added chunkyness.

Caly Jr. is my all time pocket carry favorites.

The Kopa is very similar but can be hard to source. There is a solid stainless iteration that should be easier to get ahold of, however.

Native is very similar except minus the "thumb ramp" effect of the top grind on the Caly family. The Native series has the added benefit of much wider selection of blade steels and in some cases handle materials & colors. I recommend that model very highly. They are a bit wider than what you're used to with the Caly family, but it shouldn't make a lot of difference. In fact, I kinda like the ergos on the Natives a little better because of the added chunkyness.

Caly Jr. is my all time pocket carry favorites.

The Kopa is very similar but can be hard to source. There is a solid stainless iteration that should be easier to get ahold of, however.
I like the more stout blade stock of the native. I like the steel liner version but prefer an upgraded steel option. Really hoping to see more stock of the CF S90v version but it seems sold out everywhere.

I like the more stout blade stock of the native. I like the steel liner version but prefer an upgraded steel option. Really hoping to see more stock of the CF S90v version but it seems sold out everywhere.

I tried to order it a few times but no shop actually had it in stock.

I may luck out and find C-60 Ayoob....found a plain edge (which I usually prefer) but something about a full serrated version just screams to me!

Love my Caly 3. To me, it's kind of a refined Delica. Here's a size comparison pic of a few Spydies I like that might be within ballpark. I do like the Caly 3 best of the bunch, but the Chaparral takes the silver...

spycomp01.jpg
spycomp02.jpg
Chaparral, Caly 3, Delica 4, Native 5

Good luck, OP! :)

Love my Caly 3. To me, it's kind of a refined Delica. Here's a size comparison pic of a few Spydies I like that might be within ballpark. I do like the Caly 3 best of the bunch, but the Chaparral takes the silver...

View attachment 1638145
View attachment 1638146
Chaparral, Caly 3, Delica 4, Native 5

Good luck, OP! :)
Man, that fluted Ti Native is a beaut! Thanks for the pic for the size comparison.

I really like the Caly 3.5. To me it is the perfect urban EDC knife. The ergos, the wire clip, the action, ambidextrous (I am a lefty) all is spot on. I have not yet found anything comparable.
Sadly, the fit and finish and the steel are rather mediocre.

Thus I wish for a sprint, made in the Taichung factory. Sadly, this will never happen. I know, never say never... Hope dies at last.

Back