SpyderSculpture

At the SHOT Show, Guy Rafaeli, a.k.a. Scorpio, brought a couple of dressed-up Spydercos, and I've finally uploaded the pictures he let me take of them. (Thanks!)

LionStarmate.jpg

PeacockNative.jpg

I haven't found my notes on the name of the artist - an Israeli who has also done designs for the Israel's mint, among other projects. They can be done in any metal suitable for casting.

I'm impressed. The question is, will somebody be as eager to buy a fairly large minimum production run, as I am eager to buy a handfull of them if they see production?

Don't call Spyderco at this point to try to order these.

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Mr. Mattis

I met Scorpio the other day at the Israeli edged weapons collectors club, in which we are both members, took one look at the starmate you show - and fell in love.

As beautiful as it may seem here, the picture doesn't do it justice.

I will definitely get myself one - made with silver.

Thumbs up for Scorpio

Absolutely beautiful. I, for one, would love to have one. Any idea though how much they would probably be?

------------------
"Those who trade essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Wow.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member
Knifeknut(just ask my wife)
Cetan Blood Brother
Military & Moran Admiration Society

I will let Scorpio give you all the gory details - but I think the material is aluminum - but it can be had in any material - I think silver is a good option.

The shape of the handle contours is amazing - it actually blends into the hand and makes it feel better in the hand then a regular starmate - not an easy task.

Moreover – you can’t see this from the (excellent picture) but the handle has a three dimensional shape that makes the thing far more attractive - IMHO.

I told Scorpio I want one in silver - and for once - I will be able to get a knife in Israel for less then what you guys are paying...
biggrin.gif

Hmmm . . . Are there actual plans to produce the scales in Israel? If so, would it be practical to sell the scales separately to us Yanks to glue onto our Spydercos (carefully!), or would it better, with air freight as economical as it is, to let the knives themselves make the round trip?

------------------
- JKM
www.chaicutlery.com
AKTI Member # SA00001

Mr. Mattis,

I would let Scorpio answer the question regarding the manufacturing process.

But - DO NOT send your knives to Israel with anything but Fed Ex or similar services.

Otherwise - half of them will be stolen in the mail (I am trying to be kind with the Israeli postal service)

The rest will be subject to severe custom payments - unless, Sir, you will come to our offices during working hours and convince us that you are about to take them out in less then 30 days in which case you will have to deposit 1 Milion dollars in small bills for every knife...

Kidding aside - I think the best solution will be to "buy and bond"

And I do think this will transform the Starmate ugly duckling look into a gentleman’s knife.

hi all,
first a big thanks to james mattis for his wonderful scans. as for your questions for the art pieces to put on the knives i rather make them and send them to the u.s than they will be assembled here.
as for prices well.. that depends on quantaties..and first rights will belong to spyderco. if spyderco will not offer them throgh their line i will asses the possibilities and see if to make a limited production line of the art scales and sell them by themselves to be mounted [epoxyed]by the buyer.
still do not have an idea the price range but i am sooting for the $40-50 price range and if the numbers are good maybe $10 less then that.
i will let you know more after i'll speak to the artist.
scorpio.

James-
I was wondering how long it would be before you posted a picture of YOUR peacock "Starmate". That prototype case was about the most popular case at the Spyderco booth, wasn't it? Thank you for the quick lesson on using the scanner. I will be experimenting with mine soon.
Aloha-
Patti

James-
I was wondering how long it would be before I saw your posting of YOUR peacock "Starmate." The prototype case was the most popular spot at the Spyderco booth, wasn't it? Thank you for the brief lesson on how to use the scanner for knife pics. I appreciate your taking the time to show us your skills
smile.gif

Aloha-
Patti

Scorpio - Spyderco has generally gotten out of the way and let the aftermarket handle makers deal direct with dealers or ELU that are interested. You are welcome to set up something if you are intersted.

sal

Sal - I would usually be disappointed from a post like this - but this time (and I am talking purely from the position) since I am going to get me one of these beauties very soon - go ahead - make them impossible to get, thus rendering me the proud owner of a more rare starmate
biggrin.gif

Helloooo!! Its lonely in here with noone to talk to
frown.gif

Just thought I'd hustle this one to the top again so we don't forget
smile.gif

Ferret,

I talked to Scorpio (IRL!) a few days ago, and he told me he had some differences of opinion with the creator of the sculptures.

I tried to convince him to put them aside and start making them.

I suggest you too ask him to go ahead and do it, so he will see a "market" for his efforts..

Back