spydie balisong

Sal, have you ever thought about putting out a spyderco balisong? I know it isn't very typical of you folders, but you could put a pocket clip on it, the handle could have as many spydie holes as you want, and it would definately be one hand opening. I am assuming that the demand for balisongs are not that great, but with Benchmade being the only american manufacturer of quality balisongs, and the fact that they are having problems meeting demand for their new model, that spyderco might be able to make a profit with their own superior balisong. I know I would buy one, or two, or maybe three. . .

Kyle

I think it's a legality issue.
Oregon (where BM is) is one of the more "enlightened" states.
Balisong-type knives are expressly forbidden in many states. Sad but true. I think this may have been addressed earlier. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Bummer- would be cool...

------------------
"Never give a sword to a man who can't dance" (Celtic Proverb)
AKTI# A000107

Hi Kyle. Rugger is correct. Bali-songs are illegal to manufacture or carry in Colorado.

We did design one once. Lester even considered making it for us at one time. When the laws added the Bali to the "Switchblade" laws, that made it impossible for us to make.

sal

Hey, Mr Glasser!

We did design one once. Lester even considered making it for us at one time

Designed one, as in "having drawings", i think that a lot of people would appreciate to see these!

I know i would
smile.gif

Any input appreciated!

------------------
Be well!/Jonas aka 2Sharp

"May all your detonations be expected"

The coolest bar in the world: http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Camp/8373/index.html
My knives!

[This message has been edited by 2Sharp (edited 11-03-2000).]

Hi Jonas. I wouldn't know where to look for the drawing at this time. I can give you some particulars.

Blade was about 4.5" (115mm). the entire piece was designed more along the line of the Philipine style. thin, light and fast.

We had a "Wee Hawk" style blade, fully serrated. the handle was a single cast material (Titan or aluminum preferred). Holes drilled the length, but the last two holes (closest to latch side) were larger so one could index a larger hole and "drop" open the piece. I didn't include a latch (Don't care for them). I used small magnets to keep it closed. Clip on one handle, tip up.

Maybe one day we'll make some protos. It's illegal to make them in Colorado.

sal

Could you make them without the pins installed, then sell them as a "kit" knife? If you have a prototype model around is there any chance at all of purchasing it. If it is illegal, you could just sell me the pieces, and i could put it together. Please, please, please. I think all the imported balisongs have the pins installed once they get to the U.S. I thought I heard that once, but I maybe just misunderstood.
Kyle

Thanks for the details Mr. Glesser!

Please be aware that me thinks it's kinda awesome to get a response from "The Boss" for a major cutlery company in just a few hours
smile.gif

I think (hope) that i can speak for a lot of us that the time that you take to answer our questions is very much appreciated!

------------------
Be well!/Jonas aka 2Sharp

"May all your detonations be expected"

The coolest bar in the world: http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Camp/8373/index.html
My knives!

Thanx Jonas. I try. I'm also a knife nut with passion for the industry. Sometimes I can be responsive quickly, sometimes I'm gone for weeks.

I do enjoy the communication with minds of similar interest and I have much history and story that I'm willing to share. So it's mutual appreciation.

Also, the more you learn about knives, steel, locks, engineering and quality, the better we look.

Kile, If I get around to making one, then we'll make more than one. Right now we're so backed up with current production and new production, that it will have to wait. A kit would be the best way to do it, for collectors only.

sal

You certainly do speak for me on that issue, Jonas. Sal, Angela and Joyce (and the rest of the crew up in Golden, I'm sure) are really a class act.

Regards,

Leo Daher

------------------
"Though the meek shall inherit the Earth, they won't keep it past Saturday night..."

Back