Recommendation? Spydie Rex 45 PM2

So I recently picked up a BNID Spyderco Paramilitary REX 45 Burnt Orange from my local gun shop, don't know how they still had it in stock. Loved it when I first saw it so i didn't hesitate to buy it. Been doing a little research on the steel and i've gotta say that i'm not a fan of collection knives nor a non-stainless steel. Having the none stainless steel just worries the hell outa me cuz if this blade rusts, they're almost impossible to replace. What do you guys think I should do with the knife? I Really would love to use it and carry it but i'm just not the collector type. Gotta say props to Spyderco for making an awesome looking knife though!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/161717681@N07/30685837317/

I just got one last week I use it and love it! It does take on some stains from cutting food (ribeye, chicken, onion, lime etc..) So far mine has just began to patina and the story fo the blade has started. Definitely not worried about it rusting tho.

I'm not sure why you bought it if you are so worried about rust. Rather than live in fear, just use the knife. It will surely see patina, but that is a different story than rust. And if you can't stand patina, well that's what Flitz is for.

I'm not sure why you bought it if you are so worried about rust. Rather than live in fear, just use the knife. It will surely see patina, but that is a different story than rust. And if you can't stand patina, well that's what Flitz is for.
I bought it because the hype of Rex45 just got to me. People have been going crazy over them so I thought I could maybe sell it but the knife speaks to me because its such a cool ass steel. Ive been wanting the PM2 with OD green scales and DLC blade but this knife was basically the same price so I thought I could either keep this one or sell it for more than I paid and get the OD green one.

I bought it because the hype of Rex45 just got to me. People have been going crazy over them so I thought I could maybe sell it but the knife speaks to me because its such a cool ass steel. Ive been wanting the PM2 with OD green scales and DLC blade but this knife was basically the same price so I thought I could either keep this one or sell it for more than I paid and get the OD green one.
You could sell it easily enough (though you'll need a membership to do so here), but I think you will have regrets if you do and that's not a knife you'll find again easily. If it speaks to you, keep it, use it, and take reasonable care of it. You'll always wonder "What if...?" if you don't. IMHO anyway.

Just use the knife, take care of it. Wipe it down, clean the blade right after each use and don't leave any corrosive material on the blade and it will serve you for a very long time.
Granted, if you don't take care of it, it will be subject to the very thing you don't want to happen.

You could sell it easily enough (though you'll need a membership to do so here), but I think you will have regrets if you do and that's not a knife you'll find again easily. If it speaks to you, keep it, use it, and take reasonable care of it. You'll always wonder "What if...?" if you don't. IMHO anyway.
This is my second really "true" knife behind my Benchmade Volli and I dont know if im ready for such a special knife. I've been told that it'll not lose its value, I could always sell it for what I paid for or even more. I just get antsy with things like this, where they are hard to replace and find again. Thank you for your input, I really appreciate it.

It is my main EDC. It’s the only knife I’ve ever bought a backup for. Use that bad boy! Even if it gets rust spots, which is mainly a cosmetic issue, you get other attributes in return. It’ll hold an edge very well, and sharpens up pretty stress free.

Rex45
Cruwear
M4

All super sweet options.

i'm not a fan of collection knives nor a non-stainless steel. Having the none stainless steel just worries the hell outa me cuz if this blade rusts, they're almost impossible to replace. What do you guys think I should do with the knife? I Really would love to use it and carry it but i'm just not the collector type. Gotta say props to Spyderco for making an awesome looking knife though!
That thing is going to a rusty pile of crap. PM me and I'll do you a favor and take it off your hands.

But more seriously... just in the last couple of weeks I've done a 180 on non-stainless. I have modest collection of knives - a dozen or so. And I will rotate them when something else comes along I want. Here's why this matters:

1. While stainless doesn't generally get a patina or corrosion, it will show scratches like crazy. Less with stonewashed, but everything else. A patina blade doesn't show use or scratches nearly as much.

2. Not sure what most people with pristine blades do with theirs (glorified letter openers?) but I use my knives. The other day I had to cut zip ties off a Halloween costume. Pulled out my knife and did it. Scratched the blade. I do outside projects all the time. Whatever is in my pocket gets used to cut whatever needs to be cut. I hate scratching a pristine stainless blade. With stained, non-stainless - it just adds character.

3. The value of a stainless knife with scratches drops. The value of a non-stainless knife with a nice patina may go up.

4. Patina is cool, it's unique, it shows use but not abuse, and the knife generally retains it's value. It took me forever to get here, but I'm here.
Sorry for the rambling reply. But I was just thinking about this the other night. I won't say no to stainless, but I'm probably reaching for something that will take a patina first.

Wipe it down with mineral oil. It will patina if you use it, just accept that.

Use it. I've carried my Rex 45 P3 for almost a month now in Oregon and the patina has yet to show up. It's not like it's going to turn into a pile of red dust if you use it once.

It has the highest edge stability of any knife I've ever carried, so strop up and enjoy that nasty cutting aggressiveness.

Don't know if i'g going to sell it right now, and no the store only had this one in stock. The store only got two from Spyderco, weird how it didn't sell as quick as other places.
If you decide not to keep it, please give me first chance at buying. I really want to this blade.

It is my main EDC. It’s the only knife I’ve ever bought a backup for. Use that bad boy! Even if it gets rust spots, which is mainly a cosmetic issue, you get other attributes in return. It’ll hold an edge very well, and sharpens up pretty stress free.

Rex45
Cruwear
M4

All super sweet options.
Thank you for the feedback, this is the reply I was really looking for!

Folks, this is not the place to be discussing buying knives from one another, and let's remember that the proper membership level is required to post knives for sale on this site. (Gold or above.)

Now, go and sin no more. I absolve thee (this time).

Folks, this is not the place to be discussing buying knives from one another, and let's remember that the proper membership level is required to post knives for sale on this site. (Gold or above.)

Now, go and sin no more. I absolve thee (this time).
My initial post was not to encourage people to buy the knife, I was simply asking for recommendations on what I should do with this knife based on what others know about it because i'm at a lost of what I should do. Im sorry if anything i've replied with was not allowed in this part of the forums and I do know a next level membership is required to sell knives on this site.

Back