SR-2 opened in my pocket!

MaxFactor

Gold Member
Put a mirror edge on my SR-2 yesterday after leaving the lovely little knife dull for 6 months.

I slid the knife in my shorts pocket and went about my business. A few hours later, sitting on my friend's couch, I noticed a small slice on the outside of my nearly new khaki shorts. Poking out of the slice was the tip of my SR-2. Somehow it managed to partially open and make two slices in the inner pocket material before cutting through the actual shorts.

Anyone else ever have this happen to them? I for one blame those little pokey thumbstuds that protrude just enough to catch the material in my pocket.

While the SR-2 is a superb EDC knife, I can't keep carrying if I'm not confident it'll stay closed.

Put a mirror edge on my SR-2 yesterday after leaving the lovely little knife dull for 6 months.

I slid the knife in my shorts pocket and went about my business. A few hours later, sitting on my friend's couch, I noticed a small slice on the outside of my nearly new khaki shorts. Poking out of the slice was the tip of my SR-2. Somehow it managed to partially open and make two slices in the inner pocket material before cutting through the actual shorts.

Anyone else ever have this happen to them? I for one blame those little pokey thumbstuds that protrude just enough to catch the material in my pocket.

While the SR-2 is a superb EDC knife, I can't keep carrying if I'm not confident it'll stay closed.

All the knives that have the clip up side down, blade with tip up, must be carried in the pocket in ONLY one way.
The knife must be carried at the end of the pocket and the blade against the end of the pocket (not revolt to the center of the pocket).
Knife in the right pocket, the clip must be in the back of the knife.
Knife in the left pocket, the clip must be in the front of the knife.

All the knives that have the clip up side down, blade with tip up, must be carried in the pocket in ONLY one way.
The knife must be carried at the end of the pocket and the blade against the end of the pocket (not revolt to the center of the pocket).

Hey, I appreciate your reply!

I'm definitely familiar with the tip up carry design, i.e. the rear of the pocket keeps the blade from opening. As a matter of fact, out of the ten folders I own, only one is a tip down knife.

At any rate, I think I've narrowed the primary issue down to the shorts that I was wearing. Instead of having a squared off pocket like jeans have (where the pocket is perpendicular to the side seam) the shorts I was wearing have a pocket thats sort of angled. That is, the pocket is at about a 45 degree angle to the side seam. Basically, the pocket design keeps the spine of the blade from resting flush against the back of the inside of the pocket, especially when sitting down.

Angled pocket shorts. You can also see where the blade tip poked through.
20150721_151824_zpsll4fduvp.jpg

Two cuts through the inner pocket.
20150721_150648_zpsbpeutqbi.jpg

Ideal pocket for carrying a tip up folder. I'm going to stick to this style of shorts from now on for my thumb studded knives.
20150721_151855_zpsnynvqlyh.jpg

Hey, I appreciate your reply!

I'm definitely familiar with the tip up carry design, i.e. the rear of the pocket keeps the blade from opening. As a matter of fact, out of the ten folders I own, only one is a tip down knife.

At any rate, I think I've narrowed the primary issue down to the shorts that I was wearing. Instead of having a squared off pocket like jeans have (where the pocket is perpendicular to the side seam) the shorts I was wearing have a pocket thats sort of angled. That is, the pocket is at about a 45 degree angle to the side seam. Basically, the pocket design keeps the spine of the blade from resting flush against the back of the inside of the pocket, especially when sitting down.
understood, I agree with you.
The other problem is that the thumb stud, with this kind of pocket, could easily help the blade be accidentally open. The side seam is too far from the spine of the blade to avoid that.

The detent on the SR-2 isn't that strong. I can shake the blade out. Maybe on the next run, Lionsteel should consider on making the detent a tad stronger.

I had a Case Russlock open in my pocket a couple times. Not fun!!

understood, I agree with you.
The other problem is that the thumb stud, with this kind of pocket, could easily help the blade be accidentally open. The side seam is too far from the spine of the blade to avoid that.

:eek:

Ah, those clothing manufacturers...

Sorry, I could not resist. :D

MHO -
Sounds like the pivot is loose, but regardless of pocket geometry, and thumb studs, the blade spine should be facing away or behind you. In a rapid gravity change environment, do you want your SR1 unintentionally partially deployed in your pocket? Best case, get a free circumcision, worst, femoral artery.

its important to have a detent that is strong so the cNnot open when shaken even very hard.

many states in the usa call that a gravity knife if you can shake it open easily.

i know its a fine balance between too stiff (and customers complain) and too loose (and knife can open with gravity force of inertia etc.

just a suggestion
benchmades have this same problem
spyderco i have yet to handle one that can be shaken out even with vigorous shaking. does the lionspy shake loose?

Back