SR1 question - Aluminium vs Titanium

Hi guys!

I´m haunting the internet about the Lionsteel SR1. There are two versions out there. One with TI handles and the other one with AL. I just wonder how these two material would compare to each other in point of durability and how would the (frame)lock keep when it has Aluminium instead of Titanium handles?

Do you guys have more information about the TI comparing to the AL version.

Thanks for all this :)

I own a titanium SR1, and sometimes wish it were a little lighter. However, since I can't predict emergencies in advance, I tolerate the weight for the unlikely need for really hard-core use.

The SR1 has a steel insert for the bearing surface of the frame lock. It is held in place by two set screws, and it is replaceable if it ever wears out. Wearing out the locking surface is a total non-factor. Now if you are concerned about the ability of the aluminum to stand up under years of flexing, I do not have the knowledge to speak to that issue. I have seen steel wires in the core of high voltage power lines break after years of aeoliean vibration, while the surrounding aluminum strands were still sound, but those are undoubtedly different alloys and not applicable to knife locks.

Thanks Mike! :)

I have no experience with AL as a locking part of the knife. I´ve had several scales of AL, but never anything as part of the locking system. Being honest, the TI-framelocks in general are very expensive in my eyes. As you already mentioned, the SR1 has a piece of steel added in front of the lockbar... However - maybe it´s already possible to tell how the lock works during some time, compared to other locking systems (TI-Framelock, BackLock etc etc)

Humppa ....

I have both Ti and Al models .... both are super. Only significant differences between the two are cost and weight. Al is less expensive and a little lighter. While the blade steel is different (D2 for Al and Sleipner for Ti) I don't think you will notice any real world difference. As far as the Al durability, with respect to the lock bar ..... in this post, Gianni indicated that they tested the Al model daily for a year with zero problems. I really think it comes down to how much you wish to spend and how much weight you want in your pocket. I prefer the Ti a little more because I like the extra weight ..... however, I enjoy the Al model very much as well.

Dennis,

thanks for the replie. It would be my very first framelock. I have already the Opera in D2 and it´s a great steel. According to the steel the Sleipner is not very different to D2. I´m usually a traditional pocket knife guy.

It´s good to hear, that they are making tests with their knives. I was just a little concered about the AL - because I´ve never heard about this material being used as a material for locking systems. Maybe I´m just impressed by the TI handles. The weight is not the problem at all.

Thanks for the link - I gonna read it after posting here :)

EDIT: Ok - that link was helpful and a nice review! I think that would be a nice christmas gift for myself :D

Last edited:
I handled both at Jenni Dopgen's (Klingenwelt) table at Gembloux and the aluminum version is noticeably lighter, not to mention a LOT cheaper. With that said, I think that you are getting what you pay for with either, at least as far as the complexity of the machining operations required to make that monolithic handle in either material.

Dennis,

thanks for the replie. It would be my very first framelock.

Glad I could be of help. I really like LionSteel's knives. I think you will be happy with either the Ti or Al. I envy you. I spent 2 and a half years in Bavaria .... Munich, then Garmisch. This time of year is great with the Christmas markets getting ready to set up. If I were still there, I'd be thinking about driving down to Maniago pick up an SR-1 in person!!!

Joe: Jenni Döpgen is the retailer for Lionsteel knives in Germany - I bougt my Lionsteel Opera at her shop. She´s a great lady which I appreciate very much. The complete machined handle is another way, why I´m eying with the knife.

Dennis: München (Munich) & Garmisch-Partenkirchen are nice places in Upper Bavaria. I´m in Lower Bavaria ;) Christmas Markets are great place for drinking hot apple wine and getting a bad flue ;) :D During winter the Alps are a hell to drive anywhere. No real pleasure to do that... ;) I wouldn´t wanna go through that Mountains in winter... and in the Bavarian Forest on the border to Czech Republic we have about six feet snow each year when the winter is lightweight ;)

However - back to topic... I think I gonna take the AL version. Looking at the bank account is just one point. But there seems no big difference in both handle materials in durability and holding on the blade. :)

I've wanted an SR-1 since I saw the first thread offering them for preorder but just never pulled the trigger on one, mostly due to price. Saw the SR-1A and couldn't resist. Ordered the black with satin blade which should be here today. If it's as nice as i expect it to me I'll probably order the orange and satin as well.

The main question that people seem to have with the AL version is the strength of the frame. Is it as strong as Ti? No. Will it ever break under the pressure that it is subjected to during use? No.

The SR1-A is made from 7075 series AL, much different than the standard 6000 series "aircraft" grade AL. It is as strong, if not stronger than most steels. Let's put it this way, 7075 series AL was developed by the Japanese for use in the frames of Zero fighter planes during WWII because of its high strength to density ratio and its light weight. It'll be fine for a knife frame.

I do have a question about the Aluminum version.

Aluminum has little to no memory and work hardens much quicker than other metals.

Is there a concern of consistently working the lockbar causing the fulcrum of the lockbar to become brittle over time?

I owned the SR-1A for a while. It worked great but the aluminum was very slippery in the hand.

No worry about SR-1A:

1) Gianni said they tested the prototype for a year without single problem.
2) These aluminium alloys are used in aircraft and aerospace technologies and they do their job well.
3) Rockstead offers the aluminium alloy framelocks too. Do you think that company like Rockstead would use on their high-class and very expensive folders anything that doesn´t work properly?

It is three years that I use aluminum version, what I can say with this my experience is that aluminum keet the memory for longer time then titanium.

For my first SR-1 I chose an all-black SR-1A Black Aluminum Handle, Black Plain Edge with Glass Breaker. Should be in by the weekend.

My new SR-1A in all black with glass breaker. Also, a photo next to the PM-1. Can't beat the price of the SR-1A at about 60% less than the Titanium one. Of course, later must have a Titanium Matte Gray in Satin Blade.

Added: I've done about 50 open/close cycles and both the opening and closing are fast and flawless. Excellent craftsmanship! The overall weight is great but a tad blade heavy so I'm thinking that the titanium one will be more balanced. Also, on this new SR-1A the RotoBlock was much tighter so it has given me an idea to remedy my DPx HEST/F 2.0 T3.

1c337aab-2e04-45da-81a6-5ffc07da05a0_zpse9d58c6a.jpg

845acfe4-941f-4368-a149-c35fbe3dc0aa_zps7ec2681c.jpg

Last edited:
The SR-1A in all black with the glass breaker is an excellent self-defense/tactical/survival knife. For EDC perhaps a little too large for some. The blade, craftsmanship and smooth operation are a joy and a testament to LionSteel's design, engineering, manufacturing and QC. It has been like this from my very first open/close operation.

Since it's made of aircraft aluminum it's still very strong but lighter than the titanium version. Those are physical measurements as I don't have a Titanium SR-1. I believe the Titanium SR-1 would be better balanced as the aluminum one is somewhat blade heavy.

The RotoLock works great and smoothly and once the knife is in a fixed blade position it begs a kydex sheath.

If I were to make my version into an ultimate tactical one I'd add a serrated blade, black out all shiny or matte chrome exposed parts, make the grip a little grippier and everything else the same. Remember keep the glass breaker and perhaps even the more protruded one on the DPx HEST/F 2.0 T3.

Last edited:
As good as my two SR1-Al knives are the one I received today which is the SR1-Ti G with Titanium frame and Sleipner blade is superior. It's much better balanced and grippier due to the heavier titanium frame. Personally, it also wins in the aesthetics department.

Left to right: Purple SR1-Al TNP, SR1-Al Tactical Black and the new one SR1-Ti G.

7d497016-0ff4-4c0a-97b9-b171ce76038c_zps840ff93f.jpg

The RotoBlock on my new SR1-Ti G needs the tool that comes with the knife to turn into locked position. My Aluminum SR1-Al ones are smooth as silk and have been like that from day one. What gives?

Back