SR71 Blackbird guitar picks

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
There's not much I can do with the thin skin remnants of a crashed SR71 Blackbird. Can't make a knife out of it. Gotta do something with it.

What to do? Make guitar picks!

pCp975t.jpg

We start with a crumpled piece of titanium aircraft skin, shown here next to a twisted piece of fuselage:

nxMI402.jpg

The skin piece is tediously pulled open with pliers and a blowtorch:

O7N7NeT.jpg

Guitar pick shapes are traced:

yZ9dFSd.jpg

Rough cuts:

kpOrcqL.jpg

Profiles are ground to shape:

AfVTeM5.jpg

The picks are hammered nearly flat:

9Jk2Nqt.jpg

Ground even flatter:

MCv1LbS.jpg

Edges are rounded and polished, and the surface is reasonably smoothed:

ROkTBc3.jpg

lbCSQEI.jpg

The picks are ready to rock! They're very thin yet quite stiff.

These were a bit of a pain to make, shaped totally by hand. It would have been much easier if I had a hydraulic forging press, and then also a maker's mark could have been added. In the future, once I get get ahold of a press some day, I'd like to make a few more. These examples are irregularly-shaped, not perfectly flat, and of uneven thickness due to hammering. Each one is different.

Sweet plectra! Approximately how thick are they? (not that anyone asked, but I like .55-.70 for guitar and .70-.90 for bass)

I would like to buy one....Please PM me or DM me on instagram, my details below. :)

Sweet plectra! Approximately how thick are they? (not that anyone asked, but I like .55-.70 for guitar and .70-.90 for bass)

Without calipers, I don't know, but pretty thin! They're all slightly different and even irregular in thickness.

I would like to buy one....Please PM me or DM me on instagram, my details below. :)

Sent

Those are goddamned awesome, my friend!

Ty!

total badarse.....

Ty x2!

Last edited:
That confirms you have no clue what 928 means. Thanks for answering! [beer]
Incorrect, but your comment confirms you don’t get the joke.

For anyone who doesn't get the joke, saying "I can neither confirm nor deny X" is sort of like saying, "I'd tell you but then I'd have to kill you."

So.... on the subject of guitars and warplanes-

The string retainer in the tailpiece is made from the skin of a B-24 Liberator! :cool:
UC8Xa8V.jpg

Back