SR71 Blackbird knives

Mecha

Titanium Bladesmith
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hello all,

I acquired pieces of the wreckage of an SR71 Blackbird that crashed long ago, with instructions to make a few knives. As you probably know, the SR71 Backbird was made almost completely from titanium alloy, and although is retired, is still the fastest jet aircraft ever made.

The alloy proved to be a bit...strange, but nevertheless, knives were made! I was able to get some decent hardness using a modified heat treatment for over-alloyed titanium, and they should be fine for cutting softer materials. Check out the metamorphosis below.

Two pieces selected for making knives:

pWnO7jY.jpg

Bolts removed and pieces cut to make four blades.

SYJlD2R.jpg

Flattened and gently forged a bit. Beginning to be ground to shape, laying on a pile of SR71 grindings:

HWb5JIw.jpg

Little ones coming along:

WRDtrYf.jpg

Marked!

qohpblS.jpg

The bigger ones ready for stick tangs to be welded in place:

NzGfl8g.jpg

Sticks affixed, and rivet holes filled:

H4GvURj.jpg

The finished knife blades, off to their owner to get handles, sheaths, sharpened, and probably a bit of polishing.

Hm7npaY.jpg

9WjomPA.jpg

I'm not much of a knifemaker, more of a sword and machete bot, but they turned out pretty good! It was a pleasure to turn these little pieces of astounding aerospace history into something novel for the world of blades.

knarfeng knarfeng

That’s pretty cool. The SR71 is the most awesomest of aircraft.

So many projects...so little time🤷‍♂️ I'm also aware that the particular alloy is a little difficult to work with;)

It may be not too bad for the engraving machine. That yue axe was armor plate which is a little extra rough on things. However that entire turbine blade is one giant HAZ. LOL 😂

Crazy to think that if an SR71 went past an A10 at full speed and just as it passed, the A10 started firing, the bullets couldn't catch the Blackbird.🤯

Crazy to think that if an SR71 went past an A10 at full speed and just as it passed, the A10 started firing, the bullets couldn't catch the Blackbird.🤯
Very cool, I just looked it up and top speed for the SR71 is equivalent to just over 3200 fps which is above the muzzle velocity of most large calibers (and bullets shed speed pretty quickly in any case).

Last edited:
Back