Recommendation? SRK 3V replacement sheath options

Ballsac

Gold Member
I’m fed up with the Secure-Ex sheath. I’ve filed down the little ridges on the spine side. That helped some, but not enough, and left innumerable bits of abrasive plastic that can’t be cleaned out. I’ve attempted to heat and spread the throat. It’s still way too tight and spongy feeling. This sheath just plain doesn’t fit the freaking knife and I’m done trying to fix it. So…

Who makes a good replacement for the CS-38CKE?

I’d probably prefer kydex but leather is fine too. I’ve found plenty of options for the SK-5 and San Mai versions, but nothing that’s based my version. There’s clearly some subtle difference with the 38CKE given all the complaints and my experience. I’d prefer not to go full custom, spend a bunch, and ship my knife off. But I will if that’s the only option. I just want a sheath that fits.

I’m fed up with the Secure-Ex sheath. I’ve filed down the little ridges on the spine side. That helped some, but not enough, and left innumerable bits of abrasive plastic that can’t be cleaned out. I’ve attempted to heat and spread the throat. It’s still way too tight and spongy feeling. This sheath just plain doesn’t fit the freaking knife and I’m done trying to fix it. So…

Who makes a good replacement for the CS-38CKE?

I’d probably prefer kydex but leather is fine too. I’ve found plenty of options for the SK-5 and San Mai versions, but nothing that’s based my version. There’s clearly some subtle difference with the 38CKE given all the complaints and my experience. I’d prefer not to go full custom, spend a bunch, and ship my knife off. But I will if that’s the only option. I just want a sheath that fits.

Filing down those 3-4 totally unnecessary ridges worked for me but you still have to be careful upon insertion, making sure to press the spine up against the side etc. It works but it's still a tight fit. Most of what I was feeling in terms of contact was actually just the shoulders of the edge fitting into that little "v shaped" guide inside the sheath, the actual edge didn't make contact after filing. In terms of the bits left over just rinsing it out with water did the trick for me. That said I totally empathize with your frustration, feels like this is an obvious detail that should have been sussed out by now.

I don't think leather would be the best option (the rubber guard causes too much friction) but with the way the buck sheath is designed you shouldn't have any problems, hopefully it fits. Would be such a great little package, in a great steel, with peter's heat treat... if the damn sheath would just fit!

Filing down those 3-4 totally unnecessary ridges worked for me but you still have to be careful upon insertion, making sure to press the spine up against the side etc. It works but it's still a tight fit. Most of what I was feeling in terms of contact was actually just the shoulders of the edge fitting into that little "v shaped" guide inside the sheath, the actual edge didn't make contact after filing. In terms of the bits left over just rinsing it out with water did the trick for me. That said I totally empathize with your frustration, feels like this is an obvious detail that should have been sussed out by now.

I don't think leather would be the best option (the rubber guard causes too much friction) but with the way the buck sheath is designed you shouldn't have any problems, hopefully it fits. Would be such a great little package, in a great steel, with peter's heat treat... if the damn sheath would just fit!
It's light years better after filing and the rest, but it's still a two-handed operation. And I certainly can't remove It when wearing the sheath with that nylon dangler. I've rinsed and rinsed, but the roughed up areas just continually shed more little bits that scratch up the blade. I mean this knife is going to get plenty scratched up from use, but c'mon man. I'm sure I could further improve it but I'm annoyed and stubborn. It's a great knife that deserves a great sheath and this damn thing will never be that.

so yes and no......

I tried 3 versions of Buck 119 sheaths.

the standard black leather made in Mexico. this one is a yes....
20231108_191122.jpg
inserted without forcing it....
20231108_191223.jpg

forcing the plastic insert in the sheath to open wider...
20231108_191242.jpg

the American made leather sheath is a no....
20231108_191351.jpg20231108_191443.jpg20231108_191531.jpg

the nylon sheath is a no.....

20231108_191724.jpg20231108_191812.jpg

it bottoms out and can't be forced in any further, even bending the plastic sheath insert

hope that's helpful..

so yes and no......

View attachment 2384301
View attachment 2384305

View attachment 2384303

View attachment 2384306View attachment 2384307View attachment 2384308

View attachment 2384309View attachment 2384310

it bottoms out and can't be forced in any further, even bending the plastic sheath insert

hope that's helpful..
Hey thanks a lot, that's really above and beyond! 'preciate ya

Hey thanks a lot, that's really above and beyond! 'preciate ya
ya welcome and no bother..I got the sheaths and knives, so easy to do. glad it was useful.

so i got to thinking of tolerance difference in Buck sheaths..so I grabbed a few more just now and tried them. including another black leather Mexico made one...and they all failed....
20231108_193602.jpg20231108_193528.jpg20231108_193448.jpg
20231108_193408.jpg

so im changing my answer from yes and no...to maybe but odds aren't good. got 1 to fit out of a handful as a sample and all are from various different runs over many years.....

ya welcome and no bother..I got the sheaths and knives, so easy to do. glad it was useful.

so i got to thinking of tolerance difference in Buck sheaths..so I grabbed a few more just now and tried them. including another black leather Mexico made one...and they all failed....
View attachment 2384322View attachment 2384323View attachment 2384324
View attachment 2384325

so im changing my answer from yes and no...to maybe but odds aren't good. got 1 to fit out of a handful as a sample and all are from various different runs over many years.....
Oof. I dunno, maybe this knife is cursed

I'll still pick up a couple those since they seem decent and I'm sure they'll fit something or other I have laying around all sharp and dangerous

It's light years better after filing and the rest, but it's still a two-handed operation. And I certainly can't remove It when wearing the sheath with that nylon dangler. I've rinsed and rinsed, but the roughed up areas just continually shed more little bits that scratch up the blade. I mean this knife is going to get plenty scratched up from use, but c'mon man. I'm sure I could further improve it but I'm annoyed and stubborn. It's a great knife that deserves a great sheath and this damn thing will never be that.

Really is a great knife, but I do believe you're correct in the sheath being two handed. I can start to unsheath it by pressing my thumb down on it but that little v guide tends to cling to the blade for the entire draw.

If neither of your buck sheaths end up working out and you end up wanting custom leather (something like a pancake sheath with a snap/stud that doesn't pinch the guard) and being that I already own the same exact knife, I'd be happy to get you sorted ;)

Really is a great knife, but I do believe you're correct in the sheath being two handed. I can start to unsheath it by pressing my thumb down on it but that little v guide tends to cling to the blade for the entire draw.

If neither of your buck sheaths end up working out and you end up wanting custom leather (something like a pancake sheath with a snap/stud that doesn't pinch the guard) and being that I already own the same exact knife, I'd be happy to get you sorted ;)
I got a very reasonable quote for a custom from Armatus, so I’m going to do that for this one.

I looked over some of your work and it’s really nice. I’ll have to hit you up next time I get something that’s worthy of a nice leather sheath. At my current rate of obsession I’m sure that won’t to be too long 😜

I got a very reasonable quote for a custom from Armatus, so I’m going to do that for this one.

I looked over some of your work and it’s really nice. I’ll have to hit you up next time I get something that’s worthy of a nice leather sheath. At my current rate of obsession I’m sure that won’t to be too long 😜

All good brother. Armatus does clean work, just happy you got sorted ;)

uncrate be cleaned out. I’ve attempted to heat and spread the throat.
You can surely clean it out ? Use a pressure washer or compressed air , if needed .

Unless they've changed the Secure-Ex material , you should be also be able to heat and reshape the sheath .

Maybe more heat , or longer . More aggressive stretching ? Be good to try , just for the learning !

I insert the knife itself after heating , to expand / loosen the fit , ( but not to increase retention) .

Leather is naturally more forgiving , of course .

If you do go custom Kydex , be sure to communicate exactly how you want the fit / retention . Otherwise , could end up in the same boat as now .

I like to carry inverted , sometimes , so actually prefer a very positive retention to start . Usually easier to loosen than tighten .

so yes and no......

View attachment 2384301
View attachment 2384305

View attachment 2384303

View attachment 2384306View attachment 2384307View attachment 2384308

View attachment 2384309View attachment 2384310

hope that's helpful..
2nd pic is how my Leatherneck fits on the Kabar leather sheath. Thanks for sharing this.

Notwithstanding SHC's offer, I just wanted to add a coupla' things...

-You won't be disappointed with the Armatus. Matt does tremendous work. (*I don't even know how many sheaths I have from him) His horizontal/twin-strap jobs are some of my favorites. Most of the time, after wearing them for a few hours, I go to reach for the folder in my back pocket and forget that I'm carrying a fixie. For knives between 2.5" and 4.5", they basically disappear on my belt. I can't speak to him mating the sheath to the Kray-Ex handle, but know that he will spend the time, and even let you know about the fit when he ships.

-Rob Kellenberger (*"RK Leatherworks") makes wonderful and minimalistic leather sheaths, for the Buck 119, that fit the SRK pretty well. He has an Etsy shop and usually has many iterations in stock. If I remember correctly, they run in the $25 range. Just another option to consider.

Happy hunting.

Back