SRK Italy vs Taiwan vs???

Hey everyone. Despite my old registration date, I'm basically new to the site. Please don't kill me if I'm doing something wrong. LOL.

I did a search on the SRK, but couldn't find what I'm looking for. I have an old AUS-8 version which I love. I recently bought a Taiwan made SK-5 version. It's okay, but the finish isn't as nice as my AUS-8 version. I've been wondering about biting the bullet and purchasing a 3V version, and I see there are 2 variants made with 3V... one made in Taiwan and one made in Italy. Are the Italian made ones better than the Taiwan ones?

I'm guessing the Italian ones are being phased out due to cheaper manufacturer / labor in Taiwan? If so, I'm guessing it's now or never on the Italian samples.

I appreciate any help on this.

Welcome! I have neither version and I’m definitely interested to see if anyone has experience with both.

I have an Italian 3V master hunter that performs really well, and at least one well regarded member here has very positive things to say about the Taiwan 3V MH as well.

Of course there is that one strange review on the “big river” website that shows a massive chip in a Taiwan MH (about half the size of a dime). That seems to be one strange outlier.

I’ve seen an uncoated Italian 3V SRK posted here on the CS forum recently, so if the Italian ones are uncoated then it might come down to whether or not you want a coated blade. That is also a difference that the master hunters share between countries of manufacture.

Last edited:
I think you have it backwards;the 3v SRK was made in Tawain w a black coated blade, then was discontinued,now they are made in Italy w a stonewashed finish...Same goes for the Master Hunter...

Thanks for the replies.

Sounds like the 3V is the way to go. I'd like another SRK, but man, the Master Hunter recently caught my eye, too.

Decisions, decisions. LOL.
Gonna be a month or two either way for them to be in the budget. So many knives, all it takes is money. :)

I love the new stonewash finish. Wonder if other knife models i.e. recon 1 will get the similar treatment

Back