SRK vs fallkniven S1

I have been trying to decide between these two knives for about a year now. Since cold steel changed the steel from vg1core to vg10 I have noticed fallkniven has taken this as a real threat and lowered their prices on the S1. Now that they share the same steel is there any real advantage over the other except a little extra length on the SRK.

I would think the Kraton/KrayEx handle of the SRK would have more grip than the Zytel on the S1, and maybe more comfortable for long durations?

It really depends on YOUR hands! Are they calloused from manual labor, or are you a younger person? The Fallknivens use a harder form of rubber, basically. If you're worried about hand fatigue, wear gloves (not being a douche', just being honest). LOVE CS, but Fallkniven's quality is tops in the production-blade community. EVERYTHING Fallkniven sells is/was produced by the the same people that made CS top-of-the-line stainless knives (San Mai and anything 'VG')...as I HAVE HEARD. I THINK it was Hitorri.
That's MY understanding, which isn't saying much. Either way, they are both great companies!

Anywho, Termorun is hard rubber. I like it.

I would think the Kraton/KrayEx handle of the SRK would have more grip than the Zytel on the S1, and maybe more comfortable for long durations?

Last edited:
The Fallknivens use a harder form of rubber, basically. LOVE CS, but Fallkniven's quality is tops in the production-blade community. EVERTHING Fallkniven sells is/was produced by the the same people that made CS top-of-the-line stainless knives (San Mai and anything 'VG'). I THINK it was Hitorri.
That's MY understanding, which isn't saying much.

I looked it up online quick and it said Zytel, but if it's actually more similar to Kraton then makes it even harder to chose. Personally I feel like Fallkniven "borrowed" many of CS designs (Trail Master/Tor, Recon Scout/Odin, SRK/S1, etc) so I would tend towards CS based on that.

I looked it up online quick and it said Zytel, but if it's actually more similar to Kraton then makes it even harder to chose. Personally I feel like Fallkniven "borrowed" many of CS designs (Trail Master/Tor, Recon Scout/Odin, SRK/S1, etc) so I would tend towards CS based on that.

They are BOTH rubber compounds of different grades, I've never known either company to use Zytel in the knives you're discussing!

They are BOTH rubber compounds of different grades, I've never known either company to use Zytel in the knives you're discussing!

Sorry about that...not sure what site it was, but it said Zytel. I see now that its Thermorun. So assuming the handles are very similar, and the blade steels are the same, I guess it would come down to heat treat and price. Haven't compared prices, and don't know about Fallkniven's heat treat, but always hear that CS heat treat is top notch.

But also, in looking at pics of the S1, looks like the SRK has more texture on the handle, so should be grippier.

They both make fantastic knives. The SRK and a Fallkniven are a ways different in price. Buy the SRK. CS is great, so I'm sure whoever is making their SanMai is great, also!

What I do like about the S1 Pro is the metal guard, but big jump in price

I know I came here asking about 2 blades the srk and the s1 I just left my local knife store with the intention to buy a srk but saw they had a A1 on clearance because someone had lost the sheath. I just got a. A1 for 120 dollars. Plus sheath online will be another 35. I will still end up with an srk but now since I have my laminated blade that I was looking for I am probably going to get the sk5 version. You should see the paper bag and tape sheath the clerk made for me to leave the store with it was actually pretty good lol. If someone can tell me how to post pics I will show my purchase and once I buy the srk in sk5 will give a comparison

SRK got 3v.

Make sure the 3V has an acceptable HRC though.... lest hysteria ensue.;)

The S1 comes with a Zytel sheath, which might have thrown you off concerning the handle material.

I've always liked the SRK. Never owned the S1, but with the SRK I never had a need to get one.

At any rate, it sounds like you got one hell of a deal. Congrats on your new addition.

Back