Stacked Handle Materials

I'm trying my hand at making stacked handles (on narrow tang blades) and am wondering about using micarta instead of wood or leather. Using black and maroon micarta should produce an interesting and durable handle. Any problems trying this approach?

There should be no problems as far as I can see. I know of a few makers that are actually using micarta as guard on full tang knives instead of metal, it keeps the weight down and is quite durable..

Question? are you gonna use paper based or linen or what, and what kind of finsh are you going to use? Because i know that some of the reds and marroons have a very touchy dye in them so if you plan to buff the handles, you may get a red tint on the whole thing..

Good idea, go for it!!

Alan Folts..

Ken, I recently completed a Ka-Bar type knife for an old Jarhead freind of mine and used black and od green micarta stacked as you are thinking about and it worked great. It matches his Tiger Stripe Cammies real well. If you would like to see a picture, I can e-mail you one. Rob

Unless someone out there can help me,the 50year old K-Bar leather handles do become loose. I`ve tried neatsfoot oil and the washers,especally on the U.S.N. MK 11 will not tighten up enough.I`d be obliged for any advice.

Back