Stag horn maintenance

I have an older fixed blade, hunting knife with a stag horn handle that needs to be resealed, as it came out pretty dull looking after it's last scrubbing with soap n water. I am hoping to use something like tung oil, so that it gets pretty well sealed in a naturally appearing way, as opposed to any type of polyurethane, or water-borne clear-coat. I am able to do a clear-coat if that would be the recommendation, however, the horn butts to a thin spacer, then to a brass pommel, which would raise the issue of masking those, and the attending "bump" when un-masked. Thanks!

If it were my knife I'd just rub a little mineral oil on it and buff with a soft rag.

I used Mineral Oil on my Stag handled Gerber 525 and it worked great. The handle had gotten dull and had some very small cracks and what appeared to be a bit of shrinkage. I stood the knife up in a cup of mineral oil for a few hours, then wiped it down good, then wrapped the handle up in paper towels for a couple of days.
The end result: Handle looked brand new.

Good luck.

Mark

Stag should not be oiled. Use paste wax on dry stag.

I've been using Carnuauba wax on my stag with nice results. It is easy to find (Walmart or any autoparts store) and cheap.

Well I will have to try the Wax and/or polish. I had read on other forums and perhaps even here a year or so ago about the mineral oil. The Stag soaked up the oil, giving it a new sheen, the small cracks while still there are not as noticable.

To the original poster: Go with these other guys opinions, they have much more experience than I.

Happy holidays to all.

I'm very sorry to have appeared to have fallen off the earth. My computer needed to go to the doctor. Thank you so much for the input, fellas! I will try the wax, as suggested.

Okay I posted this question before, and I'm only looking for the reasoning behind NOT using mineral oil on stag handle material. There must be some reasoning behind that recommendation. I'm not looking for an argument, just the reasoning. Help. Thanks

Animals don't oil their horns. Oil is not a component of stag, and it can be absorbed into the stag-causing discoloration and separation of the stag.

Pure wax (i.e., natural wax plus a solvent to make it soft enough to apply to irregular surfaces) can fill in tiny surface cracks and irregularities and make the stag look better, and it may to some extent protect the material from further deterioration. However, it does nothing to restore stag that has already deteriorated; it's effects are purely cosmetic.

Neutral shoe polish is not pure wax. It usually contains neatsfoot oil, which will soak into any porous material, like leather or stag. I have used mineral oil on stag for many years and do not believe it has done any harm.

Explain to me how you would restore deteriorated stag. With mineral oil?
Oil soaks into the material and darkens it. It also softens the stag.

I have wiped down a stag handled Randall Model 26 with mineral oil for 9 years now,and a bone handled Case stockman for 26 years.Not soaked in oil just a little rubbed in with my fingers and wiped dry.When mineral oil is not available human facial oils work well also.I have experienced no problems.Deer blood darkened the stag more than oil did.Just my experience.

Back