Stag Saturday - Let's See Some Traditional Stag!

Been carrying the CSC boys knife every day since it showed up earlier this week:
Grp1hBM.jpg

Thanks for the stag so far today, folks! :thumbsup::cool::cool::thumbsup: Not even lunch time yet, but I feel like I've already seen the recommended minimum daily requirement of stag today! ;)

The only stag knife I've carried all week is this Rough Rider sowbelly stockman:
stag.sow.mark.closed.jpg

- GT

Just an old Schrade, Schrade did not use stag all that often. I love how it is hafted all the way to the bolsters.

View attachment 1105236 View attachment 1105237

That is how most makers did it a long time ago. It was harder to cut the stag so that it would fit properly and few of today's makers do it properly. Most take the easy route and cut it more crudely and then grind the ends of the scales down to the bolsters, leaving a significant portion of the bark missing. I rarely buy stag handled knives now because I can't stand a stag handle that has half of the bark gone because the maker took the easy route.

If you look at the older Sheffield stag handled knives you will see this. Here is another American example of how it was done then (an older Utica):
kNVheoV.jpg

4Y1HFBK.jpg

pZs7mio.jpg

Thanks dcpritch dcpritch , they are indeed treasures, I remember my Dad fishing with the bamboo rods, they eventually got too brittle and he retired them in the early 1980's and went to Fenwick fiberglass fly rods. The tablecloth was my Great Grandmother's, we use it often. All the picture's were taken in Northern California in the 1950's and 60's.

Last edited:
Just an old Schrade, Schrade did not use stag all that often. I love how it is hafted all the way to the bolsters.

View attachment 1105236 View attachment 1105237
What glorious aged stag. Beautiful.

That is how most makers did it a long time ago. It was harder to cut the stag so that it would fit properly and few of today's makers do it properly. Most take the easy route and cut it more crudely and then grind the ends of the scales down to the bolsters, leaving a significant portion of the bark missing. I rarely buy stag handled knives now because I can't stand a stag handle that has half of the bark gone because the maker took the easy route.

If you look at the older Sheffield stag handled knives you will see this. Here is another American example of how it was done then (an older Utica):
kNVheoV.jpg

4Y1HFBK.jpg

pZs7mio.jpg
Isn't that something! Like an ancient Sequoia.

From my father's collection.

Case M5F from 1976 and a older French fishing traditional with knot tying bill in INOX stainless
SBZcyAV.jpg

That's my Great Grandfather's fishing license from 1969
NA5LSIx.jpg

All family heirlooms
YQAqnvR.jpg
Great post Jay. What memories. Thanks for sharing.

From my father's collection.

Case M5F from 1976 and an older French fishing traditional with knot tying bill in INOX stainless
SBZcyAV.jpg

That's my Great Grandfather's fishing license from 1969
Qj70zUN.jpg

All family heirlooms
YQAqnvR.jpg
I bet that bamboo rod has some incredible action. What a wonderful collection of family heritage

Absolutely GORGEOUS Knives my friends, interesting chat on the early Cutler Stag - and so true- they sure knew just how to make a knife with the most stunning Stag- at times extremely thin to the Liners and Bark/ texture all the way..... I love Stag so so Much!

Back