Stag Saturday - Let's See Some Traditional Stag!

It's been awhile since I posted these.

tygjJE5.jpg
TSiESn0.jpg
WbwvIGg.jpg
yVFJEnF.jpg

Luke Swenson long pull lockback with stag from the Loveless shop. Great stag and this lockback is perfect... I know they're incredibly difficult to build and always assume I'll find something I wish was different but I cannot find a single thing about this knife I'd change. Sunny day outside today so forgive the harsh lighting!

PXL_20210417_194230688_resize_53.jpg

I just received this today; I will try to get some better pictures soon (when I get some decent light)! It is a Renaud Aubry navette in Sambar.

A little background: I have been contemplating one of these for a long time, but another priority always popped up. About seven or eight months ago, I finally figured out exactly what I wanted and I put the knife in my basket. When I went to check out, I got a message that, for health reasons, orders were not being finalized. I checked every few days, but continued to get the same message. At some point, @Jolipapa (who had earlier informed me that the illness was severe) posted that Mr. Aubry had passed away. I figured I had missed my opportunity.

Just a few days ago, however, I found a German website that had some Aubry knives in stock. This time, I didn't dither! Nice thick, even stag, good file work on the liners/spring, black edgings, and a Max Capdebarthes slip. A beautiful knife that I am thrilled to own.

Rest in peace, Mr. Aubry.

aubry_half_small.JPG

Last edited:
Groan!!:( And I can see them better now that my cataracts are fixed!!:eek:
No winning this game of aging!! You just hope to keep up!!:rolleyes:

Knife content; you just can't beat some of those old Sheffield pruners for Stag!!:cool:View attachment 1547928

In a just world, ALL Pruners would look like that :cool: The herd that donated them are long gone (probably 130 years ago :eek:) but their antlers are immortal :D

I just received this today; I will try to get some better pictures soon (when I get some decent light)! It is a Renaud Aubry navette in Sambar.

A little background: I have been contemplating one of these for a long time, but another priority always popped up. About seven or eight months ago, I finally figured out exactly what I wanted and I put the knife in my basket. When I went to check out, I got a message that, for health reasons, orders were not being finalized. I checked every few days, but continued to get the same message. At some point, @Jolipapa (who had earlier informed me that the illness was severe) posted that Mr. Aubry had passed away. I figured I had missed my opportunity.

Just a few days ago, however, I found a German website that had some Aubry knives in stock. This time, I didn't dither! Nice thick, even stag, good file work on the liners/spring, black edgings, and a Max Capdebarthes slip. A beautiful knife that I am thrilled to own.

Rest in peace, Mr. Aubry.

View attachment 1548160
Bittersweet to find a master's work under those conditions!! Nice Navette!!
RIP, Renaud Aubry.

Back