Stag Saturday - Let's See Some Traditional Stag!

A Cowboy:

2QhjeEG.jpg

And a Cowboy Grande:

b9hOv00.jpg

About 40 years ago when I was kid, I got this knife from a family friend who claimed to be a cousin of Gene Autry. I don’t believe the knife had any connection to Gene Autry but still thought that was a neat thing. He did have an engraved set of (73) Colt Single Action Army Revolvers that he said belonged to his cousin. I thought they were wonderful!

I don’t really know anything about the knife, but the fit and finish is great, and it’s solid. The blade looks hammer marked in the picture, but it’s not; it’s engine turned. The stock that it’s ground from looks like it might be some kind of a saw blade. I never used it or sharpened it, but I just stropped it, and it’s razor sharp.

The story is probably better than the knife.😂 However, the knife’s neat, and it has sentimental value.

utzipLL.jpg
I like the story :thumbsup:
I don't recall ever seeing an engine turned finish on a blade before. It can't be very common.

I don't think I've ever seen that model before :thumbsup::thumbsup:
A lockback whittler View attachment 1624617
What is the model #?
I forget the year but it's one of Case's yearly Case/Bose collaborations. A few years earlier it was released with a wharncliffe main. The F&F was the equal to just about any custom I've owned. I never used it. I carried it as a piece of jewelry. IMG_4934~2-1104x753.JPG

I just NEVER seem to get the right carry for the right day "Stag Saturday" and lo and behold, I did today!!!

A like newish Stag #66, I love the Stag on this one as it runs into and under (not really) the bolster :cool: :cool::cool: My pictures don't do it justice but this one is so professionally hafted it's unreal. It is so thin in one spot against the liner:thumbsup: I'll have to work at getting a better picture to show that off. Here's my Stag of the Day!
EhFBiL.jpg

I just NEVER seem to get the right carry for the right day "Stag Saturday" and lo and behold, I did today!!!

A like newish Stag #66, I love the Stag on this one as it runs into and under (not really) the bolster :cool: :cool::cool: My pictures don't do it justice but this one is so professionally hafted it's unreal. It is so thin in one spot against the liner:thumbsup: I'll have to work at getting a better picture to show that off. Here's my Stag of the Day!
EhFBiL.jpg

AMAZING!

I like the story :thumbsup:
I don't recall ever seeing an engine turned finish on a blade before. It can't be very common.
This is the first I ever remember seeing an engine turned finish on a knife blade, but in the mid-late 80s, I remember seeing them in the Cabela’s catalog that looked a lot like this one but don’t know if there is any connection. Silver Stag still makes knives with an engine turned finish.

Mine has an electro penciled mark on the brass guard, but I can’t make out what it says. The hollow grinding on the blade is really nice; it can’t be the first one the guy ever made. It’s probably at least fifty years old, so there must be more of them around. I do know it came from the St. Louis area. I really wish I knew more about this knife. Does anyone know anything about it?

Back