Stag?

I'm pretty new to knife collecting and I'd like to know what the term "1st cut stag" or "2nd cut stag" means.:confused:

I'm sure it's pretty simple, but as I said, I'm new.

Someone will be along to correct me shortly if I'm wrong. Stag is typically the rough outer bark of the antler, and 2nd cut is the inner part of the antler. It doesn't have the texture like the outside, so it seems that it is jigged like bone. I think. :confused:

Never ran across the terms in all my years of buying stag.

Could refer to highest and second best quality scales.

George

It is a fairly common term in some low end knives. It usally means it came from the base of the stag that has little to no texture ( bumps, color) and it can also mean a section that is the remains of where the good stag has been harvested already. Lastly, some discount makers will refer to bone that has been distressed or burned to resemble stag as "second cut " Here are some examples:

http://eknifeworks.com/webapp/eComm... stag&Mode=Text&Brand=&PriceStart=&SKU=FRK4SC

http://eknifeworks.com/webapp/eComm...t stag&Mode=Text&PriceStart=&Brand=&SKU=RR662

http://eknifeworks.com/webapp/eComm... stag&Mode=Text&Brand=&PriceStart=&SKU=WB8000

They seem to use the term bone more often now, but these are the same as the second cut stags

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I believe I know now what it means.
I had seen knives advertised that way and wasn't sure what I was looking at.

I just purchased a couple of "new in box" Parker lockbacks from the mid 80's but haven't received them yet. One was listed as "stag", the other one as "2nd cut stag". From the pictures, the "stag" appears to have more texture where the "2nd cut stag" is smoother.

Thanks for the links also.

When I started knife collecting, it was all about those older stag lockbacks and slipjoints so it sounds like we may have something in common.

I bought a lot of Parker knives with Stag handles. Some were nice, some not so much. I hope the ones you ordered are the nice ones.

Stag can mean a lot of things especially with creative marketing. The "2nd cut stag" knives I bought generally turned out to be bone, jigged and dyed to sort of look like stag.

If you are interested in stag handled traditional knives, sambar stag is generally what you're going to be looking for. However, you'll see a lot of non sambar stag represented as sambar so beware of that.

Also, beware of the term "Sandbar Stag". Sometime this is simply an unintentional misspelling of Sambar, but other times it's an overt attempt to mislead, i.e. what you get may not be stag at all.

I now have quite a few nice stag handled knives (I'll try to get some pics up) but I had to go though a lot of dissappointments in the process.

If you visit the traditional forums here, you will find some genuine experts and a lot of great information.

Welcome to BladeForums!

>I bought a lot of Parker knives with Stag handles. Some were nice, some not so much. I hope the ones you ordered are the nice ones.<

I hope so too. What I have coming is a Parker-Imai K-250 L.B. with second cut stag and a Parker Brothers k-116 L.B. with "Genuine Sambar Stag".

I've been just buying knives that I liked the looks of and have learned some lessons. Most were bought on Ebay and some of the "stag handled " were really not.

Back