Stain for thread?

jeepin

Gold Member
I have a black leather sheath and it has red thread.

I don’t like the look of it so I was wondering if anyone knows of a product that would dye the red thread black?

I already thought of shoe polish but I worry about it rubbing off easily. Looking for something permanent and easy to apply, maybe with a small brush?

Good question, I’ve never tried to dye thread. If the thread is nylon and or waxed, IMO probably not. Also if the thread is sitting in a groove presents a problem. You might be able to re stitch the sheath ?

Good question, I’ve never tried to dye thread. If the thread is nylon and or waxed, IMO probably not. Also if the thread is sitting in a groove presents a problem. You might be able to re stitch the sheath ?

I wouldn’t try to rethread it I would rather sell it and get a different one if that was my only option. :)

Last edited:
I wouldn’t try to rethread it I would rather sell it and get a different one if that was my only option.

I didn’t think of that option ;)o_O:p
I’m sure more will chime in with more experience. Maybe they will have more ideas/options for you.

I didn’t think of that option ;)o_O:p
I’m sure more will chime in with more experience. Maybe they will have more ideas/options for you.

Don’t think I don’t appreciate the idea. It’s just that I have no talent. LoL

Don’t think I don’t appreciate the idea. It’s just that I have no talent. LoL

Never even crossed my mind :)

If it’s a hand sewn sheath, it may not be that bad to re stitch. Maybe contact the maker about it ? But hopefully others will chime in with some ideas :)

Try a black sharpie permanent marker.

I've used different colors on nylon thread. No ones complained about color getting on their hands and it's been done on watch straps which are always handled.

Use a fine tip and go over slowly. You might think it will take awhile, but thread absorbs quickly and a couple of passes over each stitch will darken it

DON

It depends a lot on the thread material.

Some will soak up stain and some will resist it.

If yours will absorb the stain you can use just about anything.......regular wood stain will work and you can get it in a variety of shades and colors. A very dark one might make your red look real nice. You may already have some sitting around the garage. Just dab it on carefully.

One of my followers is a distinguished sheath maker.......he will see this and add a professional word, I'm sure.

I have dyed stitching with shoe polish. It will darken the thread permanently, but may not give the same dark black as you are looking for.

The string may be waxy coated as well.

First tip would be asking the maker for suggestions.

You can try the black polish, and see.

Leather die should give you the effect more permanently but use caution.

Re-threading a sheath would not be difficult.....provided the previous maker did not glue any threads down.

I use back stitching to secure threads and never use glue. The hard part, the punching of the holes is already done. But I already have the stitching tools, and have made sheaths and holsters.

Do you have a pic of the stitching, and sheath??

I've blackened heavy yellow stitching with shoe polish and the results were fine (multiple pairs of Doc Martin's had this treatment).

I have dyed stitching with shoe polish. It will darken the thread permanently, but may not give the same dark black as you are looking for.

The string may be waxy coated as well.

First tip would be asking the maker for suggestions.

You can try the black polish, and see.

Leather die should give you the effect more permanently but use caution.

Re-threading a sheath would not be difficult.....provided the previous maker did not glue any threads down.

I use back stitching to secure threads and never use glue. The hard part, the punching of the holes is already done. But I already have the stitching tools, and have made sheaths and holsters.

Do you have a pic of the stitching, and sheath??

I've blackened heavy yellow stitching with shoe polish and the results were fine (multiple pairs of Doc Martin's had this treatment).

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will message the maker and see if it is waxed.

Just go buy a bottle of Fiebings USMC black leather dye. Tandy sells it, I'm sure a lot of other places do too.

lwfWdHJxm-rUrEIwL1UerZas_x3c8H08zoqpnyyJbD7jzVIKyVNA9LFeu8gbpjnufslFmnIHQntUp-Im-JV7eg0aZZoge9BlvWIyVnrZzIb3H0hYE0kcNxYPa38TKy2UQkKw6V9WhL71-6NtxC5UhpvVAP7--8aVUWrs0M0LqOYMyg_fUdHvFWIYDNK75DDTWtQKvPQG_vfMfj8PSnepfdg_d_D1g2Wo7WVYWcLq0OFRpXaSGeqDqsPT2BqgW-auGNkP6Gil0GbY1Mox08xvViX9EvyiNf7CWXXtUu5BOvCc7-fUIk6pJWtgGa5y1rGfiPn4GGK35naToJrvLSk6K2w-74axZQ0nEzO443-lTb1ErKZKGoj3-1C0cF6bucKiTfyPqTrst6ytV7h83GFcQlKN42fGs-Hnm_C7rZGRaF8ZN5dRSXB37Ez5IY7kgKn6vBJBBzDq0ueMGapeCNYCNAws11ucNMsso25PumyK1wh_L6eKh2TU0LQ3CfEFNasbqc1MF7Gu7pe5ang34LQXHsRa6udQLxTrRQOUCv1QLzHaXWWq9ubFPEH-kmQ-VjBD0qwZ1uU6a08bsJoG8rf1dyZ9-PA7vKDs7GOpEV2Ex1LBNbbGeU5Wa9SIwkkkseGYmxI6bBMaoV_ZgOQEouLuq53vHruPgNPiCyECz_GdgUewbDcg-i7AyYCk3mIixl7MwhL2c6a1Bthv4V_i-c1VsgGeGCac8inoocTKxiUn-nh-bm4=w480

That is Tandy's red braided waxed nylon thread in leather that was dyed after stitching.

O.B.

Just go buy a bottle of Fiebings USMC black leather dye. Tandy sells it, I'm sure a lot of other places do too.

lwfWdHJxm-rUrEIwL1UerZas_x3c8H08zoqpnyyJbD7jzVIKyVNA9LFeu8gbpjnufslFmnIHQntUp-Im-JV7eg0aZZoge9BlvWIyVnrZzIb3H0hYE0kcNxYPa38TKy2UQkKw6V9WhL71-6NtxC5UhpvVAP7--8aVUWrs0M0LqOYMyg_fUdHvFWIYDNK75DDTWtQKvPQG_vfMfj8PSnepfdg_d_D1g2Wo7WVYWcLq0OFRpXaSGeqDqsPT2BqgW-auGNkP6Gil0GbY1Mox08xvViX9EvyiNf7CWXXtUu5BOvCc7-fUIk6pJWtgGa5y1rGfiPn4GGK35naToJrvLSk6K2w-74axZQ0nEzO443-lTb1ErKZKGoj3-1C0cF6bucKiTfyPqTrst6ytV7h83GFcQlKN42fGs-Hnm_C7rZGRaF8ZN5dRSXB37Ez5IY7kgKn6vBJBBzDq0ueMGapeCNYCNAws11ucNMsso25PumyK1wh_L6eKh2TU0LQ3CfEFNasbqc1MF7Gu7pe5ang34LQXHsRa6udQLxTrRQOUCv1QLzHaXWWq9ubFPEH-kmQ-VjBD0qwZ1uU6a08bsJoG8rf1dyZ9-PA7vKDs7GOpEV2Ex1LBNbbGeU5Wa9SIwkkkseGYmxI6bBMaoV_ZgOQEouLuq53vHruPgNPiCyECz_GdgUewbDcg-i7AyYCk3mIixl7MwhL2c6a1Bthv4V_i-c1VsgGeGCac8inoocTKxiUn-nh-bm4=w480

That is Tandy's red braided waxed nylon thread in leather that was dyed after stitching.

O.B.

Thanks. I’ll see if I can find some.

Please do not try to dye the thread. We can, for a fee, restitch it a different color but there may be some marks from doing so. That thread has to be picked out one stitch at a time. We do not use a loose weave stitch like a sewing machine where you can pick it apart easy enough.

Contact us at the site and we will give you the send in information.

Sky-

Birch tar or oil will do it, not to mention waterproof it. Do you have birch trees around?

Back