Stainless or blued firearms?

k_estela

Co-Moderator, Wilderness and Survival Skills Forum
Given the choice, would you rather purchase a firearm in stainless finish or blued and why? I recently completed my NRA pistol course and was looking for advice in first pistol purchases. This question has been on my mind lately.

Depends on a lot of things... do you sweat profusely? How are you going to carry? Are you going to shoot a lot? I have a bunch of Glocks, I carry daily, never had a problem with rust. I also have several "J" frame Smith and Wesson revolvers, all stainless or Scandium/Titanium, I don't shoot those a bunch. 1911s, I shoot a bunch, carry when the whim strikes me (or I feel a higher threat level) and they are a mixed bunch. My Gunsite Service Pistol (GSP 2000) is blue. My Kimber Full-size is stainless. My IPSC guns are blue Colts, built by Gary Kimball. So much for answering your question... Ford or Chevy, Toyota or Nissan?
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by copfish (edited 03-20-2001).]

Also you can always have the gun black tefloned. Looks pretty and wears like my wife's pancakes...
smile.gif

How is the black finish on the Beretta 92 series? Is it better than the blued finish? I appreciate your replies thus far, what are your thoughts on this one?
Kevin

I always opt for stainless when I have a choice. Matte stainless steel does not reflect sunlight and other glare any more than blued steel. In fact, highly polished blued steel can be very reflective.

I also appreciate the "hardier" nature of stainless steel... less rust, more weather resistant, etc. It makes for a bit easier care when hunting in inclement weather conditions.

AJ

You are correct. I was thinking of the nickel-plated or super polished stainless finishes.

But, I still prefer blue. It won't rust if you wipe it down (break it down) every day.

Good to hear folks taking a course BEFORE they buy a gun.....I'm an NRA Instructor and I wish everyone would do that!
As far as finishes....pretty much any quality finish, even parkerizing, is better than standard blued finishes. Matte stainless, Robar's NP3, Birdsong's BlackT, hard chrome, and Glock's factory finish are all excellent. Your individual use will determine the finish best suited for you. Beretta's proprietary Bruniton finish is ok but I've owned Beretta's that had the stuff flaking off after only a coupla months.
I recommend a Glock across the board for new shooters who want a semi-auto pistol. That finish is as close to indestructible as the industry offers in my opinion....and the gun ain't bad either.

FWIW, I think blued (or blackened) firearms look more "tactical" but stainless steel looks more classy.

One thing to remember is that stainless steel is sticky and tends to gall. This means that the action of a carbon steel firearm is usually smoother than the comparable stainless model.

Walt

Back