Stainless Steel HEST?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this thread. I've admired the HEST, but I prefer stainless steel. Is there any buzz on a future stainless model?

RYP mentioned a few days ago that a stainless steel H•E•S•T, to be called the H•E•S•T Ⅱ, is in the works.

Yep, he said it will be a high-end stainless. I'm already looking forward to it.

I appreciate the quality of a high-end stainless steel, but a part of me wants to see the continued use of simple, time-tested, bare-bones-tough components in the manufacture of these knives.

There is obviously a place in the lineup for upper-level steels as S30V, that is absolutely without question. For hard-use, I still prefer carbon steel (like the Rowen 1095) and basic stainless like 440C in the Entrek line, both featuring some great users. As long as a HEST remains available in the configuration as it stands now (one of my EDC frontrunners, by the way), I will be happy.

I am looking forward to seeing a high-end stainless version, and will probably purchase one, but for what it's worth, I love the simplicity and toughness of 1095. Not trying to give anybody a heart attack, just sharing my two cents.

Take care and God bless. Hope you had a very merry Christmas.

KATN,

Wade

I think it might be made in infi :O because the I think the hest is going to be made with Busse from now on... Correct me if I am too far-fetched sounding here...

I'd also love to see a S30V HEST also! There had been talk of a all Titanium verison which would be beyond cool! But either way, I'd love to see one of these two used.

I am also looking forward to a stainless model.It will come in handy for salt water usage.

I am also looking forward to a stainless model.It will come in handy for salt water usage.

Salt water will rust any stainless steel. Unless they're making the HEST in H-1.... ;)
But at least I will be able to do food prep without rusting the blade in less than 5 minutes... This 1095 sure knows how to rust quickly :eek:

Non-powder, ingot stainless steel is tough when done correctly. It can sustain lateral stress well, too:
http://www.scrapyardknives.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=202608&page=38&fpart=1&vc=1

There is no doubt in my mind that it can be made to be tough. They do amazing things with steel and other materials all the time. I was only concerned whether or not the cost would be significantly greater than the cost of the current model. A significant increase would put it in the brackets of a lot of great custom knives.

The HEST is a great design, but I think that a higher price would obviously give it more competition for your dollar.

Once again, I'm a huge fan.....I'm just one of those people who don't like to see something they love change too much I guess. :D

Salt water will rust any stainless steel. Unless they're making the HEST in H-1.... ;)

One of these, I would buy in a heartbeat.

H1 is one of the coolest steels money can buy. The PacSalt I keep in my life jacket and swim trunks is a great, great knife, mainly because of the fact it's nearly impossible to rust.

I think it might be made in infi :O because the I think the hest is going to be made with Busse from now on... Correct me if I am too far-fetched sounding here...

i doubt this but i like where your head is at. this would be awesome :)

You know what cracks me up is all this talk of these super stainless steels and how fast 1095 rusts. All through WWII my fellow Devildogs (Marines) conquered the entire Pacific campaign, island by island with nothing but their regular old Ka-Bars, in nothing but a total salt water enviroment. It was simply made of nothing but regular old steel and was a total pain in the butt to even sharpen. Knives are meant to be used and some rust has no effect on the performance of the knife at all, unless your a chef then I'd get it. I know stainless has it's advantages but it cracks me up when some people freak about getting a few drops of aqua on a 1095 blade. Didn't mean to offend anyone, but I just had to get that out of me.

Semper Fi!

no intent to discontinue the knife that started it all. Rust is good. Keeps you in touch with your mortality. 1095 is a good steel for cutting. Just like a good butcher ..just keep a steel and an oily rag handy. You can touch up your DPx HEST on a rock and keep in razor sharp.

no intent to discontinue the knife that started it all. Rust is good. Keeps you in touch with your mortality. 1095 is a good steel for cutting. Just like a good butcher ..just keep a steel and an oily rag handy. You can touch up your DPx HEST on a rock and keep in razor sharp.

Exactly! Sorry if you thought that was aimed towards you in any ways RYP, it wasn't! I'd love to see a stainless HEST but it cracks me up that some people think that they just can't survive without the most exotic stainless knife. I really like your outlook on knives/tools, they're there to be used as they were meant to be. Just take care of them and they'll take care of you. I can't wait to see what the future holds for DPx and this forum!!!:D

Well my view is that you need a good honest piece of steel for everyday work. The Rust and dings will just make it look good. Friend of mine has one that stinks like dead animals, the paracord wrap looks like a molded handled with mud, shit, guts and swear. When you whisk that edge it looks mean and shiny.

Stainless is a little less hard use and more costly but a lot of people want their blade looking new and the coating needs to be a little more on the sputter coating side so it stays harder and prettier longer.

The DPx HEST/N is a non ferrous EOD and MAROPS knife that is more serrations than blade and can't spark or corrode in any way. Beta Titanium is the way to go on that and no you probably are not going to be bashing on that knife with a rock but it needs to have neutral buoyancy, be non reflective, crimp stuff and make no sound (rubber instead of G10, strip wire, work with explosives, cut a lot of rope or cable, pry or chisel stuff, have a different sheath etc. etc)

So my point is that there is just the right HEST for the right job.

Well my view is that you need a good honest piece of steel for everyday work. The Rust and dings will just make it look good. Friend of mine has one that stinks like dead animals, the paracord wrap looks like a molded handled with mud, shit, guts and swear. When you whisk that edge it looks mean and shiny.

Stainless is a little less hard use and more costly but a lot of people want their blade looking new and the coating needs to be a little more on the sputter coating side so it stays harder and prettier longer.

The DPx HEST/N is a non ferrous EOD and MAROPS knife that is more serrations than blade and can't spark or corrode in any way. Beta Titanium is the way to go on that and no you probably are not going to be bashing on that knife with a rock but it needs to have neutral buoyancy, be non reflective, crimp stuff and make no sound (rubber instead of G10, strip wire, work with explosives, cut a lot of rope or cable, pry or chisel stuff, have a different sheath etc. etc)

So my point is that there is just the right HEST for the right job.

Well said, you can't argue with that. Ever since I first heard about the titanium HEST, HEST/N, I've been itching to for it to come out! It's going to make for one hell of a dive knife.

Are these going to be MIM from powder titanium, or produced from ingot form?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back