How To Stamps On A Folding Sheath

Hi, I'm fairly new to leather working and am looking for some advice on folding sheaths and stamping leather in general.

The problem I'm having is my patterns are dull around the fold where the leather is stretching. I've tried deepening the stamps but there's barely a difference.

If someone could give some advice that would be great. Thanks!

Hello and welcome to BF !!!

What your asking isn’t my strong point , but I’ll offer .02’s worth. So I’ve seen some makers use a small anvil. Put the leather piece into a bend and stamp it, while folded. You could try taping the back of the leather. This helps prevent stretch when stamping. I try and avoid the area where I plane on folding or wet molding. It may also be the leather your using ? I know someone with more experience will be along to help answer.
If your into knives and like leather craft. You’ve found a great forum :)

Welcome to BF !!!

Do not stamp the back side of your sheaths. Create a border on the spine side of the pattern just

like you do on the edge side and then don't stamp beyond that border. Problem solved, nothing

to distort when molding or bending.

I've done it fairly successfully a few times and one thing that's important is making sure the leather is cased properly, or otherwise has just the right moisture content.
duramax duramax mentioned the two most consistent methods, Taping to prevent/limit stretching, and stamping with the sheath already folded using something inside to allow you to stamp against. Stamping harder/deeper also works, but I've had to go over the pattern a couple of times re-stamping some of them to get them deep enough.
I can't remember what method I used for this one:
20200705_132735.jpg

Back