Starlingear beads cost??

whats makes them so expensive? Is it the materials used? or the processes used to make them? or are you paying a large part just for the name?
would love to see pics if anyone has any!:D

I think to an extent it's the materials, but it's probably because they're so limited in number (right?) while I do think there over priced....just look at them.

image_zps646e029f.jpg

Just my 2 cents:)

The main reason is because they make them in limited quantities.

The quality also is a big reason, they are detailed and pretty heavy for what they are.

I personally wouldn't pay $250-350 just for a bead, would rather spend it on a Mid-Tech/Custom.

But I do love a lot of their beads and wish their Rings were cheaper, love some of them as well.

This is not knife related so I'm moving it Gadgets & Gear.

As has been stated, a big part of them is the demand exclusivity. They are made in limited runs. Yes, the quality is very high. It's like anything else...if you don't have an appreciation for what it is, the cost may not be worth it to you. I have a couple, and the quality is apparent over others.

Starlingear Gearhead
1337965884749.jpg

Gearhead with my Spyderco Paramilitary 2
1337967829591.jpg

Starlingear Wolfman
1330727399932.jpg

Wolfman with my Hinderer XM-18
XM18Wolfman.jpg

1331455474006.jpg

I think to an extent it's the materials, but it's probably because they're so limited in number (right?) while I do think there over priced....just look at them.

image_zps646e029f.jpg

Just my 2 cents:)

It wont be the materials, I estimate about $10 worth of silver in the silver beads and about 8-10 cents of copper in the....copper beads of course.

They are moulded in much the same way as beads costing $10 on some sites so not a lot of labour there once the moulds have been created.

I put the high price down to limited production and a market that is willing to pay the asking prices.

To me they do not represent any value at $200 for a bead given the factors above.

I don't see much of a difference in these and the other $5-10 beads.
I would much rather have a knife...or anything else.

It wont be the materials, I estimate about $10 worth of silver in the silver beads and about 8-10 cents of copper in the....copper beads of course.

They are moulded in much the same way as beads costing $10 on some sites so not a lot of labour there once the moulds have been created.

I put the high price down to limited production and a market that is willing to pay the asking prices.

To me they do not represent any value at $200 for a bead given the factors above.

Exactly! As a former jeweler I can tell you that they are made the same way, lost wax method. Once you get a good mold, you are set. With the prices of silver being a bit high now I would say that somewhere between the $20.00 to 25.00 dollar range in sterling silver ( and I am being generous here). If you sell them to another Starlingear fan, then you might get your $ back. The kicker is when you try and sell them at a refinery and they give you the current price for silver by weight. Much less if you go to a pawn shop. But I can also appreciate that folks pay mad coin for things that they think are "cool".

That's one serious hike in price compared to labor and material cost.
I thought the price was relative to the amount of silver.
Shows how much i know about jewelry.
Jeez

A member here asked me to pick him up one at Blade a few years ago. Not sure why really, but I picked up a Gasser bead for myself as well.
I kept it for a while, but beads aren't my thing. I think I paid $110 for it, and I sold it here for about that.

thats astonishing to hear! i knew the materials they used make up a bit of the price but never knew it was so low, 20-25$ worth! thats an amazing price difference:eek:
guess you gotta be a real starlingear fan then to go for one of these...

The paint that goes into an oil painting doesn't cost much....

In some cases a significant amount of labour is involved in art, some cases not.

On review of my post I felt I missed another factor in the high price of these wares, original and cool designs.

Last edited:
I was stunned with I saw the price. I saw one on a flashlight and thought it was the coolest thing. When I asked for the link and saw the price I couldn't believe it. They are really cool designs though. I think the same thing about Atwoods and some custom knives.

I've never owned one so I can't speak to quality. If you can afford one, get one. It's only money. :D

Here you can see the price of pure silver. It's around 22.00 - 23.00 a troy ounce. I would guess the beads are somewhere between 1/2 to 3/4 of an ounce. You do the math. Coolness factor aside.
http://www.monex.com/liveprices
This skull bead is very well made and according to the maker/seller it weighs in at 14 grams which is around 9 pennyweights ( 20 pennyweights makes a troy ounce).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/One-Sterlin...3271061?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item43b834b615

All that said........then you have the fact that they are cool as hell, pride of ownership, famous brand, etc. and if you like them then they are worth it.

The paint that goes into an oil painting doesn't cost much....

You are correct, but then again they are not produced in great numbers and if they are, even for a famous print, they would sell for a very small fraction of the cost.
Regards

There is a lot of cool designed beads. I collect both: Starlingear and beads from Eugene (Copperhead). This is not my pictures (took them from Eugene IG page, from CKF IG page and from Den Anvil)
da9f024db924ee950a89c0e1a49884e2.jpg

e3b2721252e078632ff18aadd790aada.jpg

7f652144dcbec8e888091183f8166df6.jpg

93713d333e9a22994c156e2dd6a1b58c.jpg

acb307c552bb2806f2147303b517bdfd.jpg

19881a418f61bfc8ce2ab9c23768307d.jpg

I sold all mine. For the crazy price, the quality isn’t there. My rings were badly cast with cracks and repairs but sent to me as new. Lots of better makers out there.

Since someone necroed (brought back from the dead) 2 years ago, I am doing the same because I just saw several beads on Ebay listed at or over 1k.

Talk about a sucker born every minute..

Back