Started Out as a Dagger

G L Drew

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Does this ever happen to anyone else: start on a project and part way through change directions and come up with a pattern that you had no intention making? To my surprise this came out of my shop today. (I don't believe the voices in my head had anything to do with this)

5-211.jpg

I really like it. Kind of like a short spear but cooler.
Maybe it could be used as a pig sticker.

I know a lot of folks that would buy something like that just to put on the mantle next to their other customs.

Great work and I am digging the handle as well as others.

Now, pig sticker may not be too far off... Some of them crazy boys hunt the feral critters with only dogs and a knife, this could be a serious option for them...

Charlie

For a name, how about "Lion Killer" like the short spears the Maasai carry?
What would you use that for? Beats me, I never had a plan to make it anyway.
The handle is curly maple with a leather dye finish.
It throws like a butter knife, end over end.

It was fun to make and it will go to a show in Asheville with me this week-end so it will be fun to get reactions there too. I appreciate the comments. Thanks.

I know what you mean, happens allot to me as a newb. Personally because of the lack of a guard I wouldn't suggest use it for pig sticking, it would of been neat if you had forged some integral guards.

Does this ever happen to anyone else: start on a project and part way through change directions and come up with a pattern that you had no intention making?

Yes it does and that's when I really feel that the end product really reflects what little artistic creativity I have inside. If that makes any sense. :confused:

I love the knife, thanks for sharing.

Beautiful knife....unusual in a good way!
I remember the first knife I forged...a little drop point hunter that forged out into a samurai sword. I felt like a retard.

Sorry for digging this old thread up but I just found this:

http://eholdenantiques.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=717

Looks like the "pig sticker" classification wasn't too far from the mark! Maybe you've accidentally revived this tool Gerry.

I talked to an old bloke the other night and he reckons he hunted pigs here in oz with a dog and a ball pein hammer!

Even seeing this thread again I still love the lines of that knife. um spear. um knife.:D

Back