"starter set" of sanding belts?

was wondering what you fellers might recommend as a "starter set" of sanding belts...what grits, how many, etc.

here's my situation, though...i'm not looking to make 100% stock removal knives...i've been making knives in a charcoal forge from scrap metal, but i find myself doing some shaping and detailing with a little 1x42" sander...i was thinking of moving up to the grizzly 2x72" because the 1x42 ain't gonna' make it on the bigger knives..by the same token, i don't need a high-quality grinder either...

basically, i'm not looking to do a lot of stock removal and i'm not looking to get a mirror-finish..right now i just want to finish some knives for myself and i'm ok with leaving the "primitive look" with some scale and pits in the metal...mostly i want to use the grinder for some basic shaping, cleaning up some details, making the edge and the over finish a bit smoother...but not 100% super quality...

also, what's the best place to shop for belts? and what brand? i know this has been covered before, but i'd appreciate it muchly if i could get the answers fresh...

thanks in advance...

I have exactly the same question !
I think to order a 2X72 belt grinder in few days and want to order some belts... But, what belt should I buy?
I am completely lost in all these kinds and these marks...

Why choose one brand instead of another? (Klingspor, Norton, Hermes, 3m, etc.) Why choose J Weight instead of X or Y ?
Do I have to buy more finest grits or coarse grits ?
I know that I can make some test, but I would like to have your advice to begin

I would like to order for 150$ to 200$ of belts to start...
Any "starter kit" suggestion ? (for stock removal, hollow grind into ATS-34)

Alain M-D

I wish I could answer your question, but I'm just here to ad my voice to the question. I just got a bandsaw and drill press, and I'm tryingto decide on a grinder. I'm thinking of the Coote 2x72. Any help with belt choice would be appreciated.

I get my belts from:
Industrial Abrasives
1-800-255-8112

I grind with 60--150--320 grits only.Everybody has to figure out what works best for them and the finish they want...I only order a couple dozen at a time (you can mix up how ever many of each you want from these people)As the humidity were I live is a killer on them,Maybe I will get my shop finished insulated and then I can order more at a time,but this works great for me..
Hope this helps some.
Bruce

I've got 40 60 80 100 220 400 600 for my belt grinder, but I think I could get well with 60 100 220 400 600.
40 is really coarse, you may have one or two, but actually if you are using 40 it means you probably should be using a saw, not a grinder...
How many to get is determined by how far you must go to get a belt... :)

The belts I use most are the courser grits. I'm stuck on 60 grit for shapeing and profileing. Then to 120 to refine and remove the 60 grit scratches. The finer grits, 220 and up, seem to last the longest.
So my initial order would be several of the 60 and 120 grits. and a couple of the finer grits. You could probally get by by not using every grit in turn, going from 220 to 400 and hand work from there.
IMHO, Lynn

There may be another factor at play here, too.
The coarser grits will eat up steel so fast that you risk ending up with a useless chunk of metal faster than you realize any mistake.
Grinding with a smaller grain may help you. It is more time consuming, but it's more forgiving...
At least, for me this is working :)
For the first tries a 80-100 belt you can see the mistake and correct it. With a 40 all you are left with is a cloud of iron filing... :(

Back