Starting a few khukri projects (aka Long Time, No See)

Hello, everyone.

Returning to this forum after many months, I'd like to announce that not only do I still have nearly all my HI goodies, but in the future, I'll be putting them to uses that I hope to share with everyone.

After spending far too much time trying to be "sensible" and plan out my studies in bushcraft and survival in detail, I've decided to simply take the plunge and "just do it." First off, I've signed up for a class, next Sunday, in field dressing and butchering a hog (since I plan to take up the hunting of said beasts, some day). I have every intention of taking my M43, my R6, and at least one other knife along, to see what works best, and how. I'd *like* to share some pictorial info, but I'm not sure what the rules are.

Second, I'm saying, "to hell with it," and starting on a bow-making project, as soon as I can find a good piece of wood. Board, stave, who cares? I'm no longer waiting for the opportune moment to go out to my dad's woodworking shop; I'm simply going to do it, right where I am, and my HI blades are likely to play a strong role. After all, wasn't part of the reason for a khuk's edge shape, so that it could be used as an emergency drawknife or spokeshave, or something? (DO correct me if I'm wrong on this.)

So, as I said, I hope to bring you guys along with me on the journey, pictorially (insofar as Forum rules allow it). And, it's past time for me to stop in again, anyway.

I don't think tasteful pictures of field dressing and butchering will be a problem. That is a use many of these knives are put to. Bill prohibited pictures of sacrificial killing of animals, as he thought it would be upsetting to some people.

Of course, Yangdu is the final arbiter here. If she suggests something is not appropriate we can edit it out, with no hard feelings.

Welcome back, person with my real life name. :p

You're starting to sound just like me!
Only difference is that my bow and arrow is a thrown HI knife at a living creature of this earth. :emot-yarr:

Okay! Some new at last!

First off, there's no need to worry about slaughter pictures: not only were we far too busy to take any photos, but I forgot my camera in the rush to get ready. So, no need to be mindful of your stomachs.... which might have otherwise been the case: not everyone there was able to take it.
As for knives, there was no real need to use my M43 khukuri, sicne they had a Sawzall and some loppers for the big tasks. I did discover that my R6 was plenty useful, as long as I kept it sharpened no keener than could be done with 1000-grit sandpaper: any sharper than that, and it dulled too fast. But it did work, enough to be unhesitatingly borrowed by at least one other attendee, and saw use in bleeding the animal opening the torso, some basic skinning, and cutting out the "end," if you will. That one's a keeper; my only qualm is that it might have been an inch longer... maybe.
When we got to kitchen-work and butchering, I found myself reverting to my Cold Steel Roach Belly: it appears to be my favored kitchen knife for a reason! The man hosting the event conceded that he owned similar knives, as well, so my decision appears to be justified. Maybe I need to commission an HI Roach Belly one of these days?
Long day, hard work. Were I alone in the field, I still think that my M43 might have seen use for certain tasks: cutting off feet, decapitation, maybe even some skinning! But we were on a schedule, and had plenty of equipment & manpower, so there was no incentive to try. Made a heckuva conversation piece, though, and I got to tell some people about HI.

Next stop: bowmaking! My first move is likely to be a trip up to Home Depot to look at boards, but I'll certainly keep my eye out for a decent stave! it remains to be seen how well my various HI products will work, but I'm now thinking that my R6 will see more use than I thought.;)

Back