Starting out traditional

I recently became interested in the traditional folder. These forums, this one on particular, are a great resource for beginners whether collecting or accumulating as users which is my case. I had at first only wanted to try out USA made products but have found that the Japanese have some really fine affordable knives, they seem to fill the gap between production and entry level custom.

Moki, this a very nice locking folder. Great fit and finish, mirror finish blade, even grind and Sharp, hair popping, beautiful edge what I expected.

My images don't do these knives justice, they are much nicer in hand.
Moki1.jpg

Moki5.jpg

Moki8.jpg

Moki7.jpg

I have a recently acquired Northfield #73 Scout that is a fair value for the money it has some areas that could be refined but it is functional. I think there is no reason why USA made cutlery can't be the best no matter what price point. This knife needed to be thoroughly sharpened I used my EdgePro Apex and it came out great. The blade rubs the left liner a tad bit but hopefully my next Great Eastern knife will be close to perfect. All in all it's my main user for now. I like the feel of bone, stag, in my hand and the satisfaction that some part of these knives are actually made by hand :D

scout4.jpg

Scout1.jpg

scout3.jpg

Last edited:
Nice Northfield. I have taken the tour of their shop in Titusville Pa. and they are indeed made by hand by good folks from blue collar country.

I really like that Moki. Seems like that style (modern gentleman's knives) were popular a few years back, but I don't see them offered as much any more.

If you purchased that Moki recently, do you mind sharing the dealer's name?

Good choice with the Moki. They are a great company and make the best knives in some other brand's lines such as Spyderco and Al Mar. I like US-made products too, but when it comes to fit and finish on a lockback, Moki is probably the best. They are equal to the Tony Bose line of case, but their mirror polish brings them a tad ahead of the Case Bose line IMHO. Schatt and Morgan are good, but their knives are often dull, not Moki. The Moki staff have a good eye for pearl and bone too. Their scales are usually top notch in color, jigging, etc.

Looks like your off to a good start. Don't get to frustrated if your production knives aren't perfect. It would be nice, but it's not always going to happen...
Heck, even some of the customs have imperfections, and those come with a much bigger price tag....

Nice choice in Torches too.. Gotta love them SureFires :D

Some very good photography here as well as top knife choices.

The MOKI I have is in crimson bone,a bit smaller than I anticipated so I don't see the point of the lanyard hole.Otherwise, fit and execution are flawless and FEARSOMELY SHARP! Very serious quality product I feel and I'd like to find more or their website.

The G.E. you display looks a treat too and a decent handful!

Some very good photography here as well as top knife choices:thumbup:

The MOKI I have is in crimson bone,a bit smaller than I anticipated so I don't see the point of the lanyard hole.Otherwise, fit and execution are flawless and FEARSOMELY SHARP! Very serious quality product I feel and I'd like to find more or their website.

The G.E. you display looks a treat too and a decent handful:D

I really like that Moki. Seems like that style (modern gentleman's knives) were popular a few years back, but I don't see them offered as much any more.

If you purchased that Moki recently, do you mind sharing the dealer's name?

Bob, that would be http://www.ironcityblades.com
What impresses me about the Moki, is the stainless liners, the blade is perfectly centered and how easy it opens but locks up very tight. I would really like to have a custom pouch made for it.:thumbup:
I would also like to see Great Eastern make a Mountain Man pattern ( I have one in for repair at Schatt Morgan), looks like they could give Queen some compitition.
Great comments, to all.
Again I really like the feel of this type of folder I see many more in my future.:D

Last edited:
Welcome to the fold. :) Nice choice on the Moki - they offer a very nice knife for the money.

Back