Steel Differences

I can't remember what the difference was in the older ATS-34 steel, and the newer 154CM. Wasn't it the same, but a different maker?

I can't remember what the difference was in the older ATS-34 steel, and the newer 154CM. Wasn't it the same, but a different maker?

154CM is US made, ATS-34 is Japanese (Hitachi) made. The composition could be picked at but it's very much the same formula.

154CM is US made, ATS-34 is Japanese (Hitachi) made. The composition could be picked at but it's very much the same formula.

This is also my recollection and understanding.

Here is a great resource for steel info:

http://zknives.com/knives/articles/knifesteelfaq.shtml

From the same source comparing two:

http://zknives.com/knives/steels/steelgraph.php?nm=ATS-34,154CM,VG-10,CPM S60V

Let me add, A great point that has to be taken into account and is applicable to all steels is that regardless of composition, The variance in manufacture and especially the heat treatment will yield or produce very different results. Including when using and evaluating the exact same steel but from different batches or sources.

So, although ATS-34 and 154CM may start out as basically the same or very similar, after the above is taken into account the final product can and will vary, sometimes greatly.

For what it's worth, I think Benchmade has always done a fantastic job with their heat treatment regardless of steel. They seem to really nail it. The bulk of my experience as a user with BM steels has been ATS-34 and 154CM and I can say without a doubt that they are both high quality premium steels that both perform exceptionally well.

If I were to say I've noticed any difference at all between the two it would be I find BM's 154CM slightly harder to sharpen and ATS-34 slightly less corrosion resistant. Keep in mind I worked and mainly used my knives on ships and on or near the marine saltwater environment. That's about the only tangible difference I've noticed from use over many years and even then we're not talking a big difference at that. But enough for me to have noticed.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, and thanks PBCG. I agree totally with you, HT is the world in blades. I also agree, that BM does a great job with their HT as well.

I appreciate the info. I recently got an older BM with the 34 steel, my first of that breed.

Thanks guys, and thanks PBCG. I agree totally with you, HT is the world in blades. I also agree, that BM does a great job with their HT as well.

I appreciate the info. I recently got an older BM with the 34 steel, my first of that breed.

Here's my first with ATS-34:

Back