Steel Heart E vs. Natural Outlaw

I have been a lurker for quite some time, but now I need some help. I plan on purchasing either a Steel Heart E or a Natural Outlaw, I can't decide. I was wondering, are both knives identical except for blade length? I know they have the same blade thickness, but what about blade width? Are the handles the same size on each? Also, when refering to the blade length of these knives, is that the length that extends beyond the micarta handle (including the choil) or is that just the length of cutting edge?

I must say, after reading Will York's review, I am now favoring the Steel Heart.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums, Vince! I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. I know I have spent countless hours browsing the forums.

Some answers to your questions:

Yes (as far as I know), the knives are absolutely identical other than blade length. The handles are the same, the width of the blade is the same, and the thickness of the blade is the same. I'm not sure about the measuring thing, but I think that the measurement is not of the edge, but rather the metal that extends after the micarta.

I have a Steel Heart (I went through the same dilemna you're in now!), and really love it. It is a great size and has a great design. It can really chop, but is also very adept at fine work. I would take the SH over the BA. It is more versatile. Also, in my opinion, the E handles are more suited to the larger models. I used to dislike the E handles, but as soon as I put one in my hand I realized that the drop in the handle is ever so comfortable. Also, the E handles look much better in real life than in the pictures. Also, but this is a small point, the SH was one of Busse's first models, and has a long history full of evolution. It's got a real story behind it, and has been much used by the military, I believe.

So, I think you should go with the Steel Heart. Either way, I think you'll be very happy with the knife you get.

Hi Vince,

As a user of knives... I began my life using cheap knives and always felt they were just fine... however, all that changed when I handled the Steel Heart E.

My experience with the Steel Heart E reminded me of the first time I used a pair of Atlas 1033 snowshoes (cost $265).... WOW. After years of using military magnesium snowshoes (can get for around $40), I was thrilled at the difference in performance... I was so impressed with the snowshoes that they became the official shoe for <a href="http://www.simply-survival.com">Simply Survival</a>. I purchased 16 pairs and we issue them to students during our winter/snow trips between November and March.

The Busse Steel Heart E has impressed me in the same way and I endorse it at every opportunity I get.

I now firmly believe that a high quality knife is worth its price in the same way I do regarding snowshoes, sleeping bags, etc. In fact, even more so... since I consider the knife one of my most important tools.

The Steel Heart E is an exceptional tool. It is a lightweight and well designed workhorse.

I have not used the Natural Outlaw but imagine it is of similar quality.

------------------
Greg Davenport
Simply Survival's Web Page
Learn more about me

I don't know that I've answered this question for myself. My two favorite production knives for heavy field use are the Steelheart II [straight handle] and the N.O [E]. I can't say that the SH E is much different because I've never used it: my old II is more than good enough.
The N.O. I recently acquired has a different blade coating and finish on the scales than my SH II. It's really quite a beautiful knife.
The only way I can choose between the two is based on intended use and carry. The SH obviously is more of a chopper; the NO is a bit easier to carry and to use for detail tasks. I always have at least two knives in the field and one will be a SH or a NO, depending on intended use and carry.
Example. I recently went to Patagonia for some kayaking and campling. I took the SH II for chopping and clearing and took a smaller talonite blade as a utility. But if I wasn't expected to have to clear brush or I had a hatchet I would have taken the N.O.
It's hard to go wrong with either. Thye NO is easier to carry and probably more versatile, but I love the Steelheart. You know you'll wind up getting both. And probably a BM to boot...

I just made the very same decision today and chose the NO. I just prefer lighter for carry. The NO will do the kind of chopping I need it for but save me a little weight. I usually carry a big knife while hunting to deal with briars and small twigs that cling to my pants and get in my face. The NO should handle that with no problem. Last hunting season I used a Becker Companion and it worked perfectly. The NO should handle this task with flying colors. And if you really do need to do some heavy chopping, you should be able to baton the NO all day long without a problem.

But it's a tough choice. Since I already have a Battle Mistress and a Badger Attack, the NO seemed to be the perfect intermediate. If I need a BIG chopper, I have the BM. For most of the kind of chopping I do in the field, the NO and the SH will work with ease but I chose the NO 'cause it will do the job and save me some wt and length. When you spend all day in the field, carrying a double barrel, shells and extras, saving a few ounces here and there help. If I really thought I needed the SH, I would have bought it. So it depends on your needs. For me, the NO seems like the perfect small big knife.

------------------
Hoodoo

I get some pleasure from finding a relentlessly peaceful use for a combative looking knife.
JKM

Back