Steel Heart or Battle Mistress?

Hi! My first post on the Busse Forum. After reading quite a number of posts here, I'm really attracted by the wonderful quality of the Busse's knives. I'm seriously considering to have my first Busse knife. My choice is Steel Heart or Battle Mistress. But I need some help to make the decision. I like the SH because of the intermediate blade length which mean very good balance & control. But I got quite a no. of knives with similar blade length. So, I consider the BM. I like the great chopping power of the BM. I just worry that is it very blade heavy? And where is the balance point? One more question, can anyone tell the blade width of the E series?

Thanks

Joe

Welcome to the Busse forums, Joe.

Blades are 1/4" thick on these knives.

I just bought a Steel Heart myself, my first Busse. I just like the intermediate aspect of this model. It seems like it would be quite capable of chopping, although not quite up to the level of the BM. It is a very nicely balanced knife. It feels great in the hand.

Welcome to our forum. While there are alot of knives the same length as the Battle Mistress, few are truly comparable thanks to steel (INFI), blade geometry and the heat treat.

Both the BM and the Steel Heart are great choppers. Depending upon your use, the SH is perhaps a little more versatile due to its slightly smaller size.

I do not have a BM or SH in front of me now, but the Busse Combat webpage featuring knives can give you more info. When you ask about the width of the blade are you really asking about the width between the blade and the spine versus the knife's actual thickness?

Here is a link:

http://www.bussecombat.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi

Marc
marc@bussecombat.com

Welcome to the Busse forum!

I'm not sure if you're looking for blade width of thickness. Since the thickness has been supplied, here's the width: 1.5"

As you the SH vs. the BM, it all depends on what your uses will be. If you do a lot of chopping and will bring a smaller blade, go with the BM. If you only do a moderate amount of chopping and are bringing a smaller blade, it could go either way. If you're only going to be doing limited chopping, I'd get the SH. Also, if you're only bringing one blade, get the SH.

Sorry, I doubt I've helped your choice much :)

Joe,
Welcome to the Busse forum. I hope you stick around and join in our discussions.

The Steel Heart is a great blade for almost any purpose, big enough to chop well, small enough for the more delicate tasks.

As Contender said, although you may have knives in this size range none of them are a Busse :D:D

If you give us a little more info on your intended uses we may be able to supply better advice

Joe,

Welcome to the forums. Hope to see more good posts like this from you.

A few years ago, I started looking with only one question to be answered. "If you could only have one knife, what would it be?"

After fanatically seeking information, opinions, reviews, and articles, I found that a Steel Heart answered the question.

Luckily, I was able to get a Straight Handled model just before they were discontinued. This is the knife that I will never part with.

As Andrew said, keep your predominant use as your guide. Try to find a show so you can see which fits your balance question best. Actually, while you might think the BM is really forward balanced, it, at least to me, balances almost like my SH.

All around, I'd stick to the Steel Heart.

Mike

Hi Joe,

Welcome to the Busse forum!! Either the BM-E or the SH-E are bombproof blades, with the edge IMHO going to the BM for its better chopping performance.

Here's some specs taken from my BM-E.

weight: 21 oz per Busse website
blade length: 9.75" tip to scales
blade height (edge to spine): 1-11/16" (not quite 1.75")
tip breakpoint: 2.125" from the tip
handle length: 5" at mid-height of scales
handle lenght: 5.5" to end of extended pommel
balance point: 3/4" ahead of scales (center of the choil)

The "tip breakpoint" is the point at which the blade ceases to be full-height and starts thinning down to form the tip.

You can see more comprehensive remarks about the BM-E in some testing I did a while back in the following two threads.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=191387
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=191388

Yours in nuclear knife appreciation,
Greg

If I was going to buy just one, it would be the Steel Heart.
But if you have several in this size range, get the Battle Mistress.
Decisions, decisions :D

Hey Joe, welcome to the wide world of Busse:D

I would also like to put in a recommendation for the Steel Heart.
It is my personal favorite for an all around utility, chopping or splitting blade. Even though you have other blades in this size, the Steel Heart does feel considerably different (better;)) than other straight handled working knives. If you plan on using it as a general utility knife around camp, on the trail, or even around the yard it can't be beat.

In regard to the Battle Mistress, it doesn't really feel much heavier than the Steel Heart. The balance is fantastic, and it really bites deep when chopping with the little bit of extra length.
The only time I really use my Battle Mistress is in the winter or when I have to plan on gathering and splitting a lot of wood.
It is mostly a chopping machine, but like the Steel Heart it has the ability to be used for smaller tasks just as well.

Welcome aboard.

Look, there is no substitute for the BM, but the versatility factor has to be weighed in in favor of the SH.

I even go a step further down the line and carrythe NO/E more than any other fixed blade except for the Assault Shaker.

INMHO, the SH has about the perfect balance. Unless you aree looking for the ultimate chopper, get the SH and there will be very little afield that you will be limited out with.

I don't have a SH, but I do have a BM-E. It is hands down my favorite blade of any I have ever handled, period. I recently read Bill Bagwell's book on Bowies and fighting knives, and he says that you need a survival knife and/or fighter to at least be 9.5" long. I am fairly new to the world of knives, but I tend to agree with him. I won't go into all of his reasons, but he makes a real good argument.

As far as the SH/BM comparison, whatever the SH can do, the BM can do better. ;) Except, perhaps, ease of carry. However, if you use a cross-draw kydex sheath, it is extremely easy and comfortable to carry.

I am really glad I got the BM instead of the SH. If I got the SH instead, I think I might be having regrets right now. I'm sure I will get the SH down the road, but for right now, the BM serves me fine. Size definitely counts. ;)

You have a tough decision in front of you. I faced the EXACT same decision a while back. I wanted either a steel heart or a battle mistress, and absolutely could NOT make up my mind.

I have a basic 9 already to handle the bigger tasks so I went with the steel heart. My only thought when I picked up the steel heart was that I was actually glad I hadn't got the battle mistress. I thought if it was bigger than the steel heart it might be too much knife! The steel heart is very impressive in it's chopping ability and it's all around usefullness. I think with a battle mistress it might be harder to do smaller tasks. (I still want one though! And something in the 5" range also... please!)

I am very happy with the steel heart's performance. It is an all around useful and sturdy knife.

My advice would be to get the steel heart , then the battle mistress. If it has to be only one, I'd still go with the steel heart. Either way, you will not be dissappointed!

Hi! Thanks for your advices first.

Unfortunately, I can't make the decision yet. It's a real tough decision.

But seems most of the advices in favour of the SH for mainly the versatility factor.

Let say, if we ignore the ease of carrying. Just talk about the feel in your hands. I'm sure there're must be a difference but just how great? I ask this question because there is no knife show in Hong Kong & I can't find any shop which get Busse Combat in stock,so I don't have the chance to actually handle these two different blade.

For my intended uses,first of all, personal enjoyment. I like sharp & tough knife. For actual use, I go camping ocassionally, not much chopping work would be done. In my daily life, since I live in a city, I don't have many chances to use my knives hardly. But I do think a good knife can serve as the final backup. It can protect or save me as a tool or weapon.

Regarding my question of blade width, I want to know the actual length from the spine to edge.Is it uniform for all E series?

Though it is a tough decision, I'm sure that I'll have my first Busse knife in the near future & I'm confident that it won't be the last one.

Bye!

Joe

Ignoring ease of carry... get the BM.

Personal enjoyment, playing around with at home... get the BM.

As a last ditch doomsday knife... get the BM.;)

These are all the reasons I chose the BM over the SH. There is nothing like the feel of the big 9.5" blade in your hand. It is ONE HELL of a battle blade.

Good luck.

I'm also interested in this topic. I know some theory, but I'd like to hear from those who own both and have used both hard. What are your impressions?

Welcome!

Like most here, SH vs. BM was the first question I faced. Bought the SH because a good deal came up on one first, later bought a BM. First, both are large knives, one is just a bit larger. You will not confuse the feel of either with a very light fighter. I own a couple other knives in the lenght range of the SH and they seem small in comparison. The feel of my BM is pretty lively for such a large blade. Mine is just a bit thinner, when measured from spine to edge than my SH, which probably makes the difference.

Joe! Welcome to Busse Land, Busse Land, USA!
(you're supposed to sing it...)
you wrote:
For my intended uses,first of all, personal enjoyment. I like sharp & tough knife. For actual use, I go camping ocassionally, not much chopping work would be done. In my daily life, since I live in a city, I don't have many chances to use my knives hardly. But I do think a good knife can serve as the final backup. It can protect or save me as a tool or weapon.

i have OWNED BOTH the Steel Heart AND a Bolo Variant; as well as the #7 and more than one #9 Basic Busse Knives, and used at least one each of each size among them. (i hope that makes sense: at least one Niner i sold NIB...never used.)

For what you have stated quoted above, on intended uses, or potential uses, GET THE BIGGER KNIFE! NO doubt whatsoever.
Some will say: but he doesn't do a lot of chopping while camping; so why the bigger? Because if you do any, the bigger blade will do more in a given period of time: IOW, if you get the smaller blade, you WILL do "more" chopping, than less... More efficient chopping = less time taken.
Also, Perhaps it's my previous MA training, but when i handle my "Missy" i feel more secure than when i handled my Steel Heart; it does NOT feel cumbersome, but it can out-perform the Steel Heart; which IS a Great Blade! But once you start using a bigger blade, you won't wish to go back if you can help it: yes it's longer, but the weight difference in two inches? Nada, when it's on you, you know it's there. When the Steel Heart was on me, i knew it was there, too. Go for the bigger Busse; Carry a smaller cutting knife like the "Assault or other Shaker" for little stuff. The Steel Heart can "almost" do everything, but the BM CAN DO everything.
No offense intended to those recommending the SH first; just my humble experience.
And again, Joe, WELCOME!!!
Glad you came.
Get the BM, and YOU will be glad, too...
(Actually, if you wind up with the Steel Heart, you will still be glad:) )
Climber Clif

Interior
Natural
Forest
Inhabiter

The INFI Acronymer Strikes Again!

Finally, I made the decision: Get the BM first & the other smaller blades later.

But I get another question. I've contacted Busse Combat. They said the wait time is about 6 - 8 weeks. Are there any short cut? I just can't wait so long.

Hi Geraldo, you said your BM is a bit thinner (from spine to edge) than the SH. Can you tell me the figure?

Also, can anyone tell the actual blade width (from spine to edge) of all E series knives? Furthermore, after the introduction of E handle, are there modification (except the coatings) such as blade profile or blade shape of the standard models?

Hope I can get the BM quickly & share my Busse experience with you guys.

Bye!

Joe

Spine to edge on BM is 1.575", on the SH it is 1.675". Balance point on the BM is about at the choil, on the SH even with the front of the grips.

I am told my BM is recently made, as the grips have been ground down and rounded more than my other Busses. I think this also contributes to the great "feel" and balance.

I don't know if a Busse dealer could help you get a knife quicker or not. One of the others on the forum can help you with that info.

Hi Joe,

To get a BM-E faster, email Andre DuMochel (papathud here on the forum). He may have one in stock. He's also a great guy to talk to about knives and is a wealth of Busse history. So he should also be able to answer your questions on any modifications that may have been recently incorporated into the blades.

Congrats on making the decision of which Busse to get first. It's a safe bet that you will be very impressed when you first take the BM-E into your hand. The size and heft of it really make you feel "Now THIS is one INDESTRUCTIBLE knife!!!" :D

Yours in nuclear amazement over Busse knives,
Greg

Back