Steel in bowies

I have just recieved my Recon Bowie. This is an awesome knife.
I was just wondering if anyone had some information about the steel in this knife. I have not heard anything about this steel. I also wonder where the first 100 knives with numbers on went. Does anybody know??

I don't have any answers for you, sorry
frown.gif

I really love the grind lines on that knife, in fact I think there the best I've ever seen! Good call on the recon bowie.

------------------
Fear Is The Mind Killer

Hi Snowman,

The Recon Bowie is a beautiful knife and should be a great addition to your collection.

The first 250 were numbered and were distributed all around the world.

The steel of this knife is SK-5 carbon (or similar to 0-1).

If there is any other questions I can answer, please let me know.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

Ron,

Just got my Recon Bowie today and I am quite pleased with the fit and feel of it. I'll be giving it a good workout this year. Thanks again for the excellent service on this knife. Likely will not be the only SOG item I' ll latch on to...

smile.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Harry

Hi Harry,

Glad to hear the knife was all you were hoping for...And you're welome for the service!

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

------------------
Ron Andersen
Consumer Services Manager
SOG Specialty Knives, Inc.

Email: ron@sogknives.com

[This message has been edited by Ron@SOG (edited 01-11-2001).]

I purchased a Recon Bowie recently, also. The knife itself is fantastic -- but I have a major gripe. The sheath that came with this knife is an absolute disgrace. It's of poor quality, it doesn't even fit the knife well, and it isn't ambidextrous. Unfortunately, this knife is useless to me until I can get a better sheath (I'm left-handed). I can't even carry the knife I spent almost $240 for!! When I called to order a Kydex sheath, I was told SOG isn't offering them for the Bowie series. Please do something to rectify this -- I really love the knife, but the sheath literally ruins it for me.

I don't know if I would say that the sheat is poor quality. It is just a standard quality leather sheat. Nothing more, nothing less. The knife is fantastic tough.

Actually, the sheath is NOT of standard quality. Even a standard quality sheath fits the shape and contour of the blade appropriately; this sheath does not. The handle is forced to the side (towards the blade edge side) due to the shape of the blade, and the last half inch of the blade drags along the inside edge of the sheath, thereby cutting it every time I pull the knife out or replace it. I have numerous fixed blade knives of varying quality, most of which have 'adaquate' sheaths. None of these problems exist with any of these other knives, and only a few of them are knives I would say were of comparable quality to the Recon Bowie. Many of these knives are of significantly lesser quality, but were offered in better fitting (and also ambidextrous) sheaths. I hope you understand me properly... I absolutely adore this knife. It's balance and heft are testament to the craftsmanship and design abilities of the people of SOG. I'm merely attempting to point out a serious shortcoming in an otherwise flawless device that renderss this gorgeous tool [literally] useless to someone like myself. I expect that a forward-thinking company (as I expect SOG is) would welcome such criticisms. No one ever made anything perfect the first time out, and things are made better because someone called it like they saw it.

Back