Steel Junky's - need opinions

I found this site from EDC Forums. Would definitely be interested in the next batch of the Mule Team.

-Ed

I just want to go on record as stating that I love this idea. I wish I had seen it early enough to draw a sample of the first batch, but I will keep my eyes open for the subsequent rounds. This should be an excellent demonstration of how the steels vary since the other variables are being held constant.

I'm looking forward to learning with everyone.

Sal. Why in the world are you talking FIXED BLADES.Your entire life and bank account are in folders Don't forget about Eric. Are you trying to be a Marvick or a Dem?

Tucker, the point of the mule team is to get different steels out into the knifemaking community to gauge our reactions to them. It's much easier (and cheaper) to do that with a fixed blade than a folder. Spyderco is also one of the most innovative knife companies out there, so yes, Sal would also be a maverick in that sense.

Hi Sal,

Just found the thread tonight. Been away from a computer for a bit.

Where is the list for me to sign up for this?
How much for the knife?
When do they become available?
Do you need my email to get on the list?

Cheers
Dave

Sorry to disappoint, but...

1) There was no sign-up.
2) The e-mails were just to gauge interest in the project. Sal went ahead with it even though the e-mail response was disappointing.
3) The first Mule sold out in less than two weeks. So much for the theory of gauging interest by e-mail.

On the plus side, the next one should be coming out before too much longer. The plan so far is for CPM M4 for the next one. And judging by how fast the first one sold out, there may be a few more made for the next one. Of course, I expect the M4 Mule to sell for more than the 52100 did, due both to higher steel cost and higher machining cost. The 52100 sold for $39.95 since it was sold through the SFO only (except CC pieces). The low price was a big factor in how fast they sold out.

My advice for the future is check the Spyderco forum here and the factory forum at least once a day for announcements pertaining to the next Mule, because with something this good, if you snooze, you lose. ;)

3) The first Mule sold out in less than two weeks. So much for the theory of gauging interest by e-mail.

Just read about this last night. :( Noob to this particular forum. Mostly of my time is spent on WS&S, Exchange and Busse forums
My advice for the future is check the Spyderco forum here and the factory forum at least once a day for announcements pertaining to the next Mule, because with something this good, if you snooze, you lose. ;)
Advice taken. :eek:

What happened to the warncliffes?

It's in the thread. Basically, Sal did not like the wharncliffe prototype and chose a leaf blade shape instead. I think it is a more versatile shape for general use, and this may have been a part of his thinking, also.

Bill

What happened to the warncliffes?

Hi Cotdt,

I decided to make a more versatile blade shape than the warncliffe. The Warncliffe blade shape is very popular with a smaller section of the market. Much likie the hawkbill. The leaf shape provides some belly while still providing a sharp point and will make more types of tests possible, in my opinion.

sal

Back