Recommendation? Steel Selection for Piler Head of a Multi-purpose Tool

Hello, Everyone.

This is Raphael. This is my first thread in this forums. Be honest, I am a chinese, who graduated from US university and majored in ME.

What I am look for is that, after a long time about a lot of reviews, I found that most material for a plier head of a multi-tool is limited to stainless steel or low-mid chromium steel.

I am currently designing and building a multi-tool, but considering to use high chromium steel alloy, or even aus-8 or d2 such steel alloy, for the design of this plier head.

So, my question is if it is worth a EDC multi-purpose tool to use such high level steel for its plier head? And is there any suggestions about how many HRC I should remain for any kind of steel?

Generally you want the plier head to have as much tensile strength as possible, as well as being a steel that isn't susceptible to galling or cold-welding. the trade off is that for a wire-cutter, you do want high hardness.

I'm not as familiar with the steels used in normal tools, but that is info that I would look towards. I wonder if BluntCut MetalWorks BluntCut MetalWorks has any thoughts on this? He does a lot of research into heat treating.

Let's use this multipurpose plier head as an example

Leatherman-Wave-Pliers-Jaws.jpg

Ideally - it should able to withstand: pressure, impact, twist, pry/lateral and some heat. Plus high wear resistant for good retention of cutter edges and pinch+grip grooves/ridges. High corrosion resistant.

Assuming with standard ht...

Aus-8 has excellent corrosion resistant but below avg in other areas.
D2 covers wear resistant; equiv to mid-Cr% corrosion resistant and lousy on other areas.

I recommend M2 @62rc, since it is very good on all areas but corrosion resistant (only ~ free 4%Cr). Able to keep shape of edges & ridges+grooves intact = more happy customers, me included.

If I was in business of making these and using my HT 2.5, M2@64rc or Niolox@64rc stainless with cutter config as cold-chisel+ set of 2-3 anvils at diff thickness to allow sharpening of the cold-chisel.

If I was going to try making a multitool with something different steel wise than others, I would use a good drop forged tool steel ( maybe chrome vanadium if you want rust resistance ).
You'll want to make sure you treat it properly, and probably case hardened or induction harden then cutter head if you don't plan on making them replaceable.

Let's use this multipurpose plier head as an example

Leatherman-Wave-Pliers-Jaws.jpg

Ideally - it should able to withstand: pressure, impact, twist, pry/lateral and some heat. Plus high wear resistant for good retention of cutter edges and pinch+grip grooves/ridges. High corrosion resistant.

Assuming with standard ht...

Aus-8 has excellent corrosion resistant but below avg in other areas.
D2 covers wear resistant; equiv to mid-Cr% corrosion resistant and lousy on other areas.

I recommend M2 @62rc, since it is very good on all areas but corrosion resistant (only ~ free 4%Cr). Able to keep shape of edges & ridges+grooves intact = more happy customers, me included.

If I was in business of making these and using my HT 2.5, M2@64rc or Niolox@64rc stainless with cutter config as cold-chisel+ set of 2-3 anvils at diff thickness to allow sharpening of the cold-chisel.

Thank you very much for your help. It really help me to think through how the plier head should be.

I am also looking at the drop forge tech to help me increase the general physical characteristics of the steel which I think should include elements of vanadium and Chrome, also maybe nickle.

Back