Steel suggestion for practice sharpening

roikyou2

Gold Member
I recently switch from KME to Wicked Edge Pro 4. Besides the kitchen knife (probably a really poor steel but it works and sharpens pretty well), I have 20cv, s45vn, magnacut and 14c28n. I also have been looking at more unique blades as far as shapes to make things a little more challenging.

What I'm asking is for any suggestions for another steel alternative and maybe a blade shape that's not too over the top but would give a challenge to sharpen.

I have a tanto with a slight curve in the blade, I have yet to dive into that one, that could be interesting. I have a lil' native that has been one of the more difficult just due to the size. I have two leek since it's not really tall can be a little more challenging. I have a pm2 and pm3, pretty straight forward and not difficult. I have a kershaw dividend, I think that one will be pretty easy. And then I have an american bladeworks model 1 v6 wharncliff that should be easy.

Thanks

What I'm asking is for any suggestions for another steel alternative and maybe a blade shape that's not too over the top but would give a challenge to sharpen.
Hawkbill carpet knife.
webber_hawkbill_knife_420.jpg

Tiny craft blades, including the ones with a deep belly like a scalpel.

s-l1600.jpg

Mora fillet knife
FT01059.jpg

I've found knives in thrift shops and flea markets that I paid 25¢ for, and when I brought them home and sharpened them, discovered that they were pretty darn nice steel.

Look for those old, black, really thin and flexible table knifes with the fake ivory handles...many of them are made of Sheffield steel and will take a razor's edge really fast and easy. Wish I could find more of those at 25¢ apiece, I'd fill a barrel with them. I think people dumped them because they got a black patina and so never looked clean...but the steel was great.

Back