steel types

What would make a better tactical style survival knife. Specs 5" blade x 1 1/8" x 3/16". I want it bead blasted with a matching steel guard. 440 stainless or 1080. I want one made for me by a friend who has done alot of 440 work but I have a nice bar of forged 1080(Bruce Evans, you remember the ones you power hammered for me a year or so ago?) I wasn't sure if 1080 would be as good a steel and if it would look good bead blasted like 440 does. If so then I have the steel to supply him you know what I mean. Please offer advice. Cory

P.S. Bruce Evans, Did you get my email a few days ago? I wasn't sure why you never wrote me back. Are u disgusted with me because I don't make knives much anymore? I am sorry for being a cum and go knifemaker just have too busy a schedule and wife complained that I was down in shop for 5-6 hours at a time while my son was upstairs driving her nuts. Thought it would be easier to just tone down my hobbies a little. Cory

I haven't been around the forum much as of late. Still grinding away though!!:)

Carbon steels do not do well with a bead blasted finish. All those dimples greatly expand your surface area and make rust a real problem. this has been my experience. Again if the person is very diligent and cares for the blade properly 1080 should make a good blade in the size you describe.

Personally I would go for 154CM for a normal class steel or S30V if you want the high end.

Just my thoughts of course.

Personally i would not bead blast any type of knife that will be getting wet, bead blasting makes it rust pretty easy. 2nd If it was going to see alot of water i would go with S30V, if it wasnt going to get to wet much i would use L6 or another super TOUGH Carbon steel.

Back