Steel Will Plague Doctor

This morning I saw a video review of this honking knife with a 3.9 inch blade. I ordered it. The design is awesome in my opinion. I chuckle at the horror of my other knives when I drop this in the tray. Anyone else obsessed by it?

It sounds a like a whole lot of knife for the money, but a bit heavy for my tastes. I don't mind a big folder, but when you're closing in on 9 ounces that's a bit much.

I think the 9mm ultracompact pistol I'm carrying today weighs about 11 ounces, empty, for example.

In my favorite size range, but I can't tell if that goofy pocket clip is reversible for southpaws or not?? Almost looks like you'd need dedicated clips for each side, like some Cold Steels come with.

8 and a half ounces sure seems high, but at least it looks quite solid... I couldn't EDC it

Great name, but I think the knife falls (a bit) short of living up to all the cool imagery that name evokes. Additionally, several things are unappealing to me, but they are mostly cosmetic.

I've seen much worse, this at least looks like it could be used for something other than just unexpected de-animations.

It's larger and quite a bit heavier than anything I own. The large flipper nicely deploys the blade which is best done with a pushbutton movement. The blade is well-centered and has no wobble when open. The clip has no hot spots but is so tightly sprung as to make it tough to hook to my jeans pocket. This should resolve with further use or perhaps a little persuasion with a shim. I don't notice the weight in my pocket, while it is very evident in my hand. I would not open it in a restaurant (for that matter I shy from opening any knife in public) but I'm delighted to deploy it and admire it at home. I'm happy I got this juggernaut.
Size comparison with Cold Steel American Lawman.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pg3zwUEzL1gioc4G7

The smaller one is interesting, unique with the “hump” thumb ramp, I would like to hold one.

Side note...searching for the tag “plague doctor” on Instagram turns up some WEIRD stuff/people!

With a name like that I want it in Neon green and black swirly color. Id buy it in an instant but the size weight does make it a bit cumbersome

I understand why you wouldn’t want to make a show of it in public. It’s big. I like the spyderco millie which is similar in size but I use it when I need it in public a lot, albeit surreptitiously.

That’s one thing that I like about liner and frame locks. They’re quick to CLOSE. How quick a knife closes is something that’s overlooked by a lot of people IMO. I get it out, open, cut, close and pocket it in seconds. Unless some creeper is specifically staring at me no one really notices. It’s too fast to register “knife, oh nos!” :D I wonder what someone would have thought when I cut a thread off my wife’s shirt once. They probably would’ve thought they were witnessing a murder about to go down.

It's larger and quite a bit heavier than anything I own. The large flipper nicely deploys the blade which is best done with a pushbutton movement. The blade is well-centered and has no wobble when open. The clip has no hot spots but is so tightly sprung as to make it tough to hook to my jeans pocket. This should resolve with further use or perhaps a little persuasion with a shim. I don't notice the weight in my pocket, while it is very evident in my hand. I would not open it in a restaurant (for that matter I shy from opening any knife in public) but I'm delighted to deploy it and admire it at home. I'm happy I got this juggernaut.
Size comparison with Cold Steel American Lawman.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Pg3zwUEzL1gioc4G7
Update: Today I used it to cut up large cardboard boxes. The blade surprised me by being a great slicer. I think the behind the edge thinness helped in this. The small choil caused no hang-up and the long blade length contributed to almost effortless sweep cuts. It's not just big; it's useful.

Back