stellite vs talonite

Does anyone have any real word experience with these 2 super blade materials? What is the major practical difference? Pro and cons of each would be appreciated. Which would you buy in a TNT? No "just buy a a sebenza" replies wanted, thanks

So far I have not been able to see that much of a difference in general utility use. I've heard that Stellite 6K is superior in some respects but, frankly, I guess I haven't used my two comparables [both Blackwoods] hard enough to see a difference. - and that says alot about how good and close they both are.

I had a conversation with Larry @ Bladeart about this subject last week. I just bought a Mini TNT Hawkbill with Talonite as an EDC and I love it. Larry told me there is so little difference with the two steels. I believe Stellite has a tiny bit more carbon but not noticeable. I'm sure you will be very happy with either. Especially if you get a TNT. I do alot of work on my salt water fish tank, and I use this knife for cutting all the tubes and any line that is submerged in the tank. All I do after the knife is used is run it under some hot water to flush the sand and gunk out and then dry it off. Maby a bit of oil at the pivot if needed. This summer when I am swimming I will clip this knife inside my bathing suit. It's a great blade material. Also I have cut down lots of boxes and other materials in the last 3 weeks I have had the knife, and it is still shaving sharp. Best of all, there has not been any sign of rust or corrosion at all, NADA! I have heard people bashing the tensile strength of this steel, but I didn't buy this knife for prying with. I have a Strider for that! Go get that TNT you will be happy.:D

I have used both. The 6K has a greater resistance to bending but is still susceptable to edge roll if ground too thin. It is harder material as well. Greater expense too. 6K is harder to grind. I can tell a great difference when roughing in a blade in how the belt cuts after just one good pass. For my own use...6K every time. Brian

I think that one of the big differences is the price. From what I know(not saying much) Talonite has almost doubled in price.

mschwoeb, Talonite prices havent changed at all in the last 3 years, Stellite prices have dropped almost to half of what is was 3 years ago.

I talked with the man himself, George Young the Stellite 6K King, two weeks ago.

He still swears by 6K because he said its harder than Talonite. If anyone knows George, they know how stubborn he is, and he is not easily swayed. He did enjoy the TNT I showed him, but wasn't so impressed by the Talonite badging on the blade.

I have a 6K kitchen knife George made, and have used it for 1 1/2 years. I have only had to run it down the white stones on a Sharpmaker a couple of times, and even then it was still cutting just fine. I haven't had as much experience with Talonite yet, due to my only having the material for a month now, but it does seem nearly as good.

Either way, they are both great, and are both a pleasure to use.

Rather than people posting their opinions on what should be better and why, I'd like to see someone take two similar knives by the same maker, one with Stellite 6K and one with Talonite (Stellite 6BH I believe) and actually do some kind of scientific test. I'm tired of this guessing game.

Besides, I'm sure that the majority of users here can't really tell the performance difference between most premium bladesteels - I'll be the first to admit that when it comes to using, my experience is that BG-42 opens envelopes just as well as Talonite. :)

~Mitch

Back