Sterno Heaters- Shelf life?

Greetings all. I' ve thought about buying some of those Sterno or similar "fuel in a can" types. They are cheap enough but I was wondering if they have an expiration date or how long a shelf life they may have. I came across a few in a variety store and they are clearly inked stamped with a date of 10/15/99. I could light a few to test them but I' d like to know just the same before purchasing. Any thoughts/ experience? Thanks.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."

Nakano,
I can't comment on the expiration date issue, but I will caution you about making sure that any cans you do buy are undented w/securing fitting lids. If I'm not mistaken, sterno is basically a gel form of alcohol that would quickly dry out on the shelf if air were allowed to enter.

What is your intended purpose for the sterno? When I first started backpacking/camping, a sterno stove was about all I could afford and I remember its performance was really dismal -- took forever to cook even simple foods like powdered eggs & forget about getting a rapid boil of water. (This wasn't at high elevations either.) I gave up on it pretty quickly & simply used the campfire for all cooking chores until I could afford a Svea.

IMO, sterno may be fine for keeping chafing dishes warm for a buffet but I can't imagine ever using it again in the outdoors.

------------------
Cheers,

--+Brian+--

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket, Babe, but at least I'm enjoyin' the ride.

Hi Brian, I' ll agree about the camping uses. My intended purposes for its possible purchase would be for backup fuel in the event the Coleman double heater that is soon to arrive conks out or if there is a shortage of propane or unleaded. The Sternos will be used to heat up already prepared/ cooked edibles.

I realize about the alcohol content but am still curious as to the stamped date on the cans. Perhaps it designates the date of manufacture. Any other experience/ comments out there? Thanks.

L8r,
Nakano

Greetings all. I' ve thought about buying some of those Sterno or similar "fuel in a can" types. They are cheap enough but I was wondering if they have an expiration date or how long a shelf life they may have. I came across a few in a variety store and they are clearly inked stamped with a date of 10/15/99. I could light a few to test them but I' d like to know just the same before purchasing. Any thoughts/ experience? Thanks.

L8r,
Nakano

------------------
"To earn a million is easy, a real friend is not."
Nakano, I'm arriving very very late to this forum but noticed your question and wanted to respond . . . just in case you're still in need of some help or advice on this matter. I was told Sterno makes a "chafing" product and a "cooking" product. While their cooking product can also be used for 'chafing', the opposite is not true. The chafing products simply do not produce enough eat to actually cook with. That's why many a hiker/camper has purchased cans of Sterno and been disappointed when they reach the end of their long hike and hope to cook a meal of any kind (short of smores). Of course, by now you've discovered there a many different fuels you can use for better results but if you're still interested in the Sterno or "sterno-like" products, pick one that actually says "for cooking". I've been told Sterno now has a product that is dual purpose but I've not used it so I can not recommend it. As for expiration; Sterno does recommend their product be used within 2 years of purchase (chafing product). I've heard from friends that similar 'cooking' products will last as much as 10 years or more depending on how they were stored. Best of luck to you.

Back